Ben Brooksbank

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

robertcwp
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Ben Brooksbank

Post by robertcwp »

Ben Brooksbank passed away on 24 February (not 20 February as stated on some other forums) and his funeral took place on 20 March, which I attended. Ben was 91. He had a good send-off including reference to his railway interests and authorship.

Amongst other things, Ben was the author of books on the East Coast Main Line and World War Two damage to London's railways.

He also had a huge archive of photographs, taken over many years.

In acknowledgement of his interest in the LNER, I made sure I wore my LNER tie to his funeral.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Ben Brooksbank

Post by JASd17 »

I spoke to Ben on a number of occasions, always helpful and generous in the use of his photographs.

Look up Geograph - and that will be apparent.

Thanks Robert.

John Smart
STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

A sad loss of an authority on the ECML
RIP
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Use so many of his pics as reference. RIP.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
alistairn
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by alistairn »

I was sorry to see this about Ben, I knew he was rather older than me but not quite how much. He was always very helpful when I asked about his pictures and he will be missed. Does anybody know where his images went to - I don't thnk he put everything on Geograph.

Alistair