Alan Pegler piece on the BBC News website

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Alan Pegler piece on the BBC News website

Post by richard »

I guess not technically an LNER person, but the BBC News website have just put up an extended piece about Alan Pegler and 4472:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-43755611
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Alan Pegler piece on the BBC News website

Post by Hatfield Shed »

The family firm which provided the money for the preservation of the A3 is very much still in business, and was a regular supplier to the railway among much else. (A high proportion of UK homes will have a Pegler valve in the plumbing somewhere.)
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I wondered if it was the same Pegler - the house I grew up in had Pegler valves on every radiator when my parents fitted central heating (this was back in the 1970s - I can just remember the coal fire in one of the rooms, and a storage heater in another room).
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

The works (or a works) is just south of Doncaster station. I can't remember what the other name is, but it's 'Pegler - somebody' these days having been just Pegler for years.

I discovered when I had to get spares for it that our bathroom tap was by them. Very quick response and good service, too.