Wilston Samuel Jackson

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Wilston Samuel Jackson

Post by Kestrel »

richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Wilston Samuel Jackson

Post by richard »

When posting a link, please include a quick precis so we know what it is about. A title is rarely sufficient.

Thanks
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
NZRedBaron
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by NZRedBaron »

I saw this on the BBC's website actually; Wilston Jackson was Britain's first black engine driver, getting his certification in 1962; the article on the Beeb had a photo that showed him standing at the controls of 60082 Shotover, as he was a 'Top Shed' man.

He got a commemorative plaque the other day, as Britain's first black engine driver; apparently he never missed a day of work, or even was late 'clocking in'.
Mickey
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by Mickey »

'Bill' looks vaguely familiar to me even though he retired in 1967?. Maybe after retirement he would have a social drink in the BRSA club opposite the Great Northern Hotel back around 1974-75(?) that railway social club was frequented by many 'off duty' Kings Cross drivers & secondmen in that era.

With regards to the blue plaque granted 95% of the British public these days wouldn't know the difference or even care but the blue plaque reads a bit funny saying he was a driver out of Kings Cross & St Pancras?. Kings Cross alone would have been better and made more sense to railway enthusiasts.

Nice picture of Bill on the footplate of no.60082
Last edited by Mickey on Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Mickey, just to add to your observations on the blue plaque, I see that some bright spark refers to the locomotive named 'The Flying Scotsman'. I wonder how many more times will we witness this wilful display of ignorance when it just takes a minimum of research to realise the difference between 60103’s name and that of the named train.
Mickey
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by Mickey »

Yeah totally giner it's all very sad these days...

When I saw the later picture of Bill above I thought he looked slightly familiar from way back about 1974-75 not that I actually knew him personally.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.