Fred 'Robbo' Robinson

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Mickey
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Fred 'Robbo' Robinson

Post by Mickey »

Fred 'Robbo' Robinson was a relief signalman around the Hatfield area during the 1960s and early 1970s who apparently was some sort of amateur magician who may have performed his magic tricks in schools and hospitals around the Hertfordshire area anyway Fred would occasionally work Hatfield No.2 around 1972-73 I recall anyway during one weekday evening 'peak' at WGC box when Harry Fitzgerald was the signalman and 'Robbo' was at Hatfield No.2 everytime Harry gave 'train out of section' along the Down slow line back to Hatfield No.2 'Robbo' would offer on another 3-1 (local passenger train) to WGC which prompted Harry to say "I wish Robbo would make some of these trains disappear!." I have a feeling Fred had been around along time on the railways so I presume that he retired around the time the remaing few boxes were to close around 1974-76.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
Dave Cockle
NER J27 0-6-0

Re: Fred 'Robbo' Robinson

Post by Dave Cockle »

Micky,

I remember Fred "Robbo" coming to refresh Wood Green No 4 when I was resident signalman there in 1972. Robbo was a member of the Magic Circle and
a well respected relief signalman with much experience. He had a laid back manner and never let the job get onto of him. I recall he had quite log hair for a man of his age (60's) although he was balding. The long hair added to his persona as a magician.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Dave Cockle wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:10 pm I recall he had quite log hair for a man of his age (60's) although he was balding. The long hair added to his persona as a magician.
Your description of Fred triggered a long forgotton memory of him Dave I do vaguely remember seeing him one day possibly from a passing train going through Hatfield maybe around 1972 or 1973 and Fred was probably standing at the window or in the doorway of Hatfield No.2 and I do recall the long'ish white coloured hair, I think his hair length was on the top of his shoulders(?) and he may have been wearing glasses as well for a bloke in his 60s?. I spoke to him on the box phone a number of times basically passing on whatever the WGC signalman wanted me to pass on to him but I never met him at all and to me he was pretty much just a name from that time that occasionally worked Hatfield No.2 box although the 'magician' part about him was interesting to me.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
Dave Cockle
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Dave Cockle »

Micky there has been a book written about Fred Robinson - Magician.
If you Google Fred Robinson - Magic Circle you will see it.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Dave Cockle wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:47 am Micky there has been a book written about Fred Robinson - Magician.
If you Google Fred Robinson - Magic Circle you will see it.
I had a look Dave and it is mentioned that Fred was born in December 1910 and died in February 1986.