District controller

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

silverfox
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

District controller

Post by silverfox »

What was the job description of this office and does anyone recall a Bill Becket in the KX area?
William Thorpe
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Re: District controller

Post by William Thorpe »

don't know much about Bill Beckett, so I am surmising he is the same person who was involved in the 'Xpress Publishing' organisation that issued a number of operational-based books on railways late 1990's early 2000's. I know of him from 'The District Controller's View' series (no 3 is GC based Marylebone to Rugby by P Stears) and I think was also involved in publishing early issues of 'LNER' which then became Vintage LNER under Owen Russell. I believe he was active in BR days on the GC lines around Notts/Sheffield area, based on info he gave in response to enquiries on former Yahoo group British Railways ,which descendant is currently on Facebook as British Railways Historic Foundation . He used the name 'divman' as I recall. Might be worth an enquiry there as to his current status!
03piggs
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 03piggs »

He's also active on the British Railways Group on groups.io.

He goes under the xpressbooks name.

Stu
On Instagram: woodbourne_modelrailway.
silverfox

Post by silverfox »

AHH Yes Divman .... I seem to recall he was a rather abrasive person, and who immediately attacked anyone who queried any of his statements .which was a pity as his writings were ok to read, although it surprised me that he appeared to have worked in every region of BR in a very high position.

I think he has resurfaced on a Facebook page that he is the moderator of a page LNER Society ( note no The) and he is very dismissive of 'The LNER Society' page as he claims his is run by railwayman who knew the job!!! He uses the name Tristan Bradshaw

He did put up a story about William Sparshatt, which got my spider senses going as i have never seen anything like it before and i quote him in full

'Sparshatt was quite a character. He married an extremely wealthy heiress and when running into King's Cross would tell his fireman to take over the engine whilst he changed into full evening dress including a top hat, ready by the time the engine came to a stand. At the station an expensive limousine and chauffeur would be waiting to take him home.'

When i asked him of he could substantiate any of this he said it was common knowledge at KX when he worked there, and as he 'appeared to be there in the 60s as he mentioned the Deltic incident i posted up earlier'
I have asked two people who were at KX back then and they have no knowledge of story or him!!

So i thought, something like that could not have gone unnoticed, and as there are several trees on Ancestry with Bills name on i have asked the owners for info. so far i have not had one confirmation and two 'thats rubbish'

what i have found is that his name was Sparshott and was on marriage
It changed after marriage
He married the daughter (Kate) of an Engine Driver David Bates in 1899
They lived at two addresses in Wood Green before moving the New Barnet
They had two daughters who never married
Kate pre deceased him in 1941
Bill died in 1944 leaving 2000.00 pounds to his daughters

All this is public record

Where that story came from i have no idea but might surmise that he could well have done it for a bet. as from what i have read about him 'character' was well suited .After all where on a non corridor loco tender would you put all the kit!!

What does concern me that this may well become fact in later years and be another internet myth!!

If anyone on here can add anything i would be most grateful, so we can put this to bed one way or the other.
52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by 52A »

Yes abrasive! I crossed swords with him a number of times, he set himself up as some sort of fount of knowledge about all matters railway. But I found his practical knowledge of operating regulations and procedures somewhat lacking. I eventually blocked him on Facebook so I do not know what he his doing now or what nom de plume he is operating under (he changes it quite often, can't think why)!
03piggs
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 03piggs »

I agree with you both Silverfox and 52A.

Very abrasive is my experience with him too. The amount of times I have crossed swords with him on the British Railways groups.io over the Yard Arrivals & Departures isn't even funny.

He keeps claiming that what I have produced for each Yard is completely false, even though I'm giving all of my refences. Strangely, when asked to provide the evidence to prove me wrong, it all goes quite.....

Anyway, ive got tired of it, so I'm giving up posting on that group and just concentrating on other groups.

Stu
On Instagram: woodbourne_modelrailway.
52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by 52A »

To try to answer your original question about District Control my only knowledge, although now in the distant past, is of Newcastle. The shift leader was the deputy chief controller (the chief controller being the senior operations manager) and a number of assistants. They covered such things as the line controllers deciding priorities of train running on their respective sections of route. Loco, passenger, freight and mineral (coal) controllers looking after their areas of responsibility ensuring that trains were moved as booked or to cover short term peaks or troughs in conjunction with the various depots and yards. They also took the major decisions during times of disruption and again there was consultation with regional control. A very broad-brush description, there were lots of other detailed tasks, please don’t show Mr. Beckett, I will probably be wrong!
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

03piggs wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:30 am I agree with you both Silverfox and 52A.

Very abrasive is my experience with him too. The amount of times I have crossed swords with him on the British Railways groups.io over the Yard Arrivals & Departures isn't even funny.

He keeps claiming that what I have produced for each Yard is completely false, even though I'm giving all of my refences. Strangely, when asked to provide the evidence to prove me wrong, it all goes quite.....

Anyway, ive got tired of it, so I'm giving up posting on that group and just concentrating on other groups.

Stu
I am both very surprised and rather concerned to see that he has suddenly appeared on the members only GER Society's io.group. His initial post was a list of workings through Bury St Edmunds, so it appears that he can still transcribe extracts from his document hoard.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

silverfox wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:08 am What was the job description of this office and does anyone recall a Bill Becket in the KX area?
I heard once that he was at Cambridge, and in charge of allocating toilet cleaners or suchlike.
silverfox

Post by silverfox »

Yep

They are one and the name and he says he also posts under other names on other forums. Perhaps he is on here!!!!!!!