Kippax Station

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

railwaygirl
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Kippax Station

Post by railwaygirl »

Hello,
My name is Elizabeth and my grandfather was the Station Master of Wetherby, Helperby and lastly, Kippax Station from 1939 onwards. His name was John Edgar Jackson. I grew up as a railway child and use to play daily at the Station in and around the sandpit at the end of the platform and railway sheds. I used to help him tend the wonderful flower displays he created along the embankments and on the station's platform. He won many awards for the prettiest station. The station would have hanging baskets everywhere which were simply beautiful. I adored playing around the station and knew the platelayers and staff and the different trains, mainly goods trains. The train drivers would wave at me and blow their whistles. If I was playing up in Billywood, I would try to beat the trains to the top of the hill as they slowly pulled their heavy loads. It was wonderful.

However, one reason for joining your list was to see if anyone has anymore information about the overnight stay of the Queen on the Royal train in the sidings at Kippax station on Wednesday 20th October 1965 before she opened the new Seacroft Centre, Leeds the following day, Thursday October 21st. The Royal Train stayed overnight on the old line from Garforth to Kippax. Does anyone have a map of this old line and how it linked into the main lines? I believe the Queen arrived by rail at Cross Gates railway station for the opening. I remember it was a big secret at the time, but afterwards became the talk of the village. I wonder if anyone has any further information or has any photographs of the Royal Train. Were there any newspaper articles at that time and what happened to the Royal Train?

Does anyone also know whether she had an improptu stay in the same sidings in 1958 when she visited Burtons Taylor factory in Leeds in October 1958. I seem to think she did but my memory is a bit hazy about that stay.
Anyway, no doubt someone will put me on the right track if I'm posting this request in the wrong forum. Many thanks.
A Happy New Year to everyone ~ Elizabeth.
unslet
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Re: Kippax Station

Post by unslet »

Hi Elizabeth,very interesting read.
Coincidentally a British Railways memo about the 1965 train has been posted on Facebook on 7th January,resulting in a bit of discussion.
It is in the group LEEDS CITY RAILWAYS in West Yorkshire,which is a private group.
You can always join the group if you are interested.
I have a very faint recollection of the Royal Train arriving at Cross Gates on that foggy October morning,I think it was hauled by a class 40 diesel locomotive.
Regards,John.
alankippax
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by alankippax »

Hi Elizabeth I enjoyed your memories about the royal train at Kippax. I lived in the station cottages opposite the station during the time of the royal stay, I remember wake up that morning to the sight of many police and army guarding the station. As you did I spent many hours playing in the same sandpit and around the station, as my pals father was the station master at the time. Sadly the station has completely gone now.

I would love to hear from anyone else who has memories or information about the station

All the best Alan
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

Hello Elizabeth, the National Library Of Scotland has a vast collection of Ordnance Survey maps and this 25 inch one from 1908 gives good detail of the layout at Kippax before the colliery was built. You can select the next map up or down to see the track layout at Garforth and Castleford.
https://maps.nls.uk/view/125642674
I took 3 photos of the station in 1978 and have sold the originals but can send you copies on the strict understanding they are not to be published.
TBirdNeil
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by TBirdNeil »

A local guy has created some great videos on YouTube re' this line, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz9Ctyme49M&t=117s and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh2ZscjczvM. I hope these are helpful.