Dave Vince Hatfield No.2

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Mickey
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Dave Vince Hatfield No.2

Post by Mickey »

Dave Vince was a resident signalman at Hatfield No.2 the box being located at the north end of Hatfield station on the Up side of the running lines from sometime during the 1960s and even possibly from the late 1950s(?) until the time the box closed in early 1974. Again another signalman who was just a 'voice at the end of the box phone' although I believe I did briefly meet him literally by a few seconds when I ran a errand between the signalman at Hatfield No.1 and Dave in Hatfield No.2 one Saturday afternoon but almost 50 years on from that errand I can't recall what Dave looked like?.

Dave gets a brief namecheck into the official railway accident that occured at Hatfield in 1968 on the Down side of the running lines controlled at the time by Hatfield No.3 box when a runaway goods train running along the Down goods line between Hatfield No.1 & Hatfield No.3 boxes entered a dead end siding road beyond the north end of Hatfield station and crashed through the stops and into the brick retaining wall beyond the stops killing both the driver and secondman. Dave is mentioned in the official report as observing the accident has it happened.

About the time I was leaving WGC as the 'box lad' in March 1974 I recall it was mentioned that Dave was transferring to Hornsey Up Goods box on closure of Hatfield No.2 in April 1974.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.