Welwyn relief signalmen 1972-73

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Mickey
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Welwyn relief signalmen 1972-73

Post by Mickey »

For a rather large 85 lever frame box and a busy box as well Welwyn Garden City surprisingly (or not surprisingly?) only had a small number of relief signalmen that actually signed the box during the early 1970s apart from the three resident signalmen at the box.

1.Dave Tilbury. I remember seeing Dave working the box quite regularly from about 1968 onwards (he may well have worked the box originally from earlier in the 1960s?) and he would often be seen out on the landing at the top of the box staircase and open box doorway wearing a white shirt with sleeves rolled up also I vaguely recall Dave use to park his car near to the box just across the track of the single line Blackbridge sidings branch.

2.Norman Greenwood. Norman didn't work the box much when it was still a mechanical box during 1972-73 when I was at the box as a telegraph lad athough I do recall him showing up to work the box on about three maybe four occasions when I was his telegraph lad for a 8 hours shift at the box. Usually Norman would show up with his rucksack slung over his shoulder and smoking a pipe with his transistor radio operated control phone bug in his rucksack ha ha ha...

3.Bill Taylor. Bill originated from the north east and liked smoking cigars I recall?. I believe Bill worked Arlesey box occasionally on the main line midway between Hitchin and Biggleswade and he may well have also worked the boxes around the Hitchin area as well?.

4.Barry Jones. Barry came late to WGC box maybe only working the box a dozen or so times during the first 6-8 months of 1973 just prior to the commissioning of the NX panel in September of that year. I believe Barry worked Cemetery box during most of the 1960s.
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.