Engineer - Royal Scot

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

321HW
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Engineer - Royal Scot

Post by 321HW »

WILLIAM SHEERIN - looking for information please. He was an engineer (Driver) on the Flying Scotsman, "The Royal Scot" on Glasgow to London run. Time frame is somewhere around early to late 1940's. William was born 1890 is Glasgow. He is my grandmothers brother.

Also looking for information on Jack McGregor who worked Railway offices in Glasgow.

I appreciate any help you can give me

thank you

Heather
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Re: Engineer - Royal Scot

Post by Bullhead »

The Royal Scot was a service operated by the London, Midland and Scottish Railway (LMSR) between Glasgow Central and London Euston (with a portion to Edinburgh), directly rivalling the Flying Scotsman of the London & North Eastern Railway (LNER) which ran between London King's Cross and Edinburgh Waverley. Like the LNER, the LMSR named a locomotive to publicise this premium train service - see Royal Scot for more information. The chances are that your relative worked on the LMSR service, if he was from Glasgow, though I suppose it's possible that he worked London services out of Glasgow Queen Street.
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Engineer - Royal Scot

Post by Bryan »

You could try posting on the LMS forum.
However it is not as active as this one.

http://lmsforum.forumup.co.uk/