Is this NBR network?

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

emathieson
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Is this NBR network?

Post by emathieson »

In 1881 my grandfather was an illigitimate 10 year old living in a farmhouse east of Carlisle. My next info is his marriage in 1901 when he was a Foreman Plate Layer living in Eddlestone, near, Peebles and then the births of my father and his sister in the Railway Cottages at Leadburn near Penicuik in Mid-Lothian. They then moved to Duns in Berwickshire in about 1911. I have a silver pocket watch inscribed to my grandfather when he left Duns for Galashiels in 1920 where, according to my parent's marriage certificate in 1942, he was a Permanent Way Inspector (aged 71 in 1942, but there was a war on!).
Would I be right in thinking that from Carlisle onwards, all the places of work were on the NBR network before it became part of LNER? I'd like to trace the missing 20 years but will probably need the correct Company before hunting for archives.
Liz
52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Re: Is this NBR network?

Post by 52A »

The NBR became part of the LNER on 1st January 1923. Prior to this he would be an NB man.

Good luck with your search.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Is this NBR network?

Post by 52D »

My Grandfather Thomas(Tucker)Derry probably bumped into him not literally of course in his duties as a driver first at St Margarets then Berwick(NBR) shed.
St Margarets men covered the Waverly route and Berwick later Tweedmouth men covered some of the Borders routes including the Berwickshire railway to Duns or Dunse as an earlier spelling variation.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.