Dairycoates Yard and Cyril Hawcroft

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

leonr2z
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Re: Dairycoates Yard and Cyril Hawcroft

Post by leonr2z »

Thanks for the help guys! One other question if I may Bricam, were there any excursion specials from Bradford to Brid in your day (one of the photo's I have seems to indicate so) and if so, what sort of loco's would be hauling? Also, do you have any memories of Brid shed at all?
bricam5
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by bricam5 »

I was at Bradford GN (Bowling loco shed) I don't know if there was any specials working out of there to Bridlington.
I did work one special for a childrens outing from Driglington (just outside Bradford) to Cleethorpes. The shed had to borrow a J39 for that one as the only passenger locos were N2's tanks.

I believe that Manningham shed ( ex LMS ) had some main line locos but of course I new nothing of their workings.

Can't tell you much about Brid shed as with the D49's we turned and used the lobby for a brew up L1's not even turned. The only guy I new well there was a driver Arthur Dove who used to be a Hull man.
Dragging my mind back to over 60 years can be hard work but keeps the brain active.
Footplate ex Botanic Gardens & Bradford GN (Bowling)
Yorkshire born & bred
50C
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by 50C »

We usually got at least one Bradford (37C/56G) B1 on a weekend excursion to Brid.The specials could have originated anywhere within the West Riding

50c
neilgow
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by neilgow »

From train spotting days at Driffield in the 50's and 60's.

There was a large variety of locomotives passed through. V2's were a very regular occurence and in fact for a short period around 1962 we had an A3 on a regular turn from Leeds, usually 60038. As stated, 45517 turned up one day as did a Brittannia 70014, a great debate took place amongst the lads when a 9F appeared. I do have to say the Standard 2's and 4's were very rare. The 2-6-0 Standard 3 77xxx as a common sight. From memory, most LNER types, B1, B16, K1, K3, D49, D20, V2, V3, V1 & L1, LMS engines being Black 5's. 8F's, Ivatt 4's,:D Crabs, Jubilees, a Patriot, 4F's and one Royal Scot. Standards always seemed to be the Class 5 and 3. Austerity 2-8-0's, ten a penny even on Saturday excursions. A Bristol Jubilee showed its face one Sunday. Happy days.
Solario
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Solario »

Neilgow has listed almost all of the the classes that I saw on excursions through Cottingham which were destined for Brid, Filey or Scarborough. There is one notable addition that I can make- B12 61577. I saw this pass through light engine one mid-week evening heading south. I believe that it had arrived in Brid on a special carrying Water Engineers from Lincoln. It was failed and I think that it was sent to Dairycoates for repairs after which it was used locally for a few days.

I have a very poor photo of Scot 46145 but this may have been on an excursion from Leeds rather than Bradford. I saw several Scots through Cott.

Brid had a Sentinel shunter allocated for many years, so this would be an appropriate class to include on a layout.