Frank Highsted/ Bishops Stortford

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

fcnicholas
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Frank Highsted/ Bishops Stortford

Post by fcnicholas »

My late Great Uncle, Frank G. Highsted started work with the Great Eastern Railway at Stetchworth around 1913. I know he did a spell at Wendover and Northwood, as part of the Passenger Manager's department, from the staff pages of the 1929 LNER magazine, and died in service, sometime after receiving his 45 year service clock, as Station Master at Bishops Stortford.
I still have his issue silver watch and chain, numbered 48603, complete with its 1922 GER crested amalgamation medallion, with several repair marks inside the case, as well as his clock. I would like to find out more about his 'time' on the railway, and would appreciate a couple of pointers to online sites where information may be found.

More intriguing is the attached photograph taken at Bishops Stortford in the Goods Yard, with my great uncle in his SM cap, and a group of obvious station staff, with some non uniformed big wigs centre stage. Also present are some ladies, one of whom is my great aunt.
img004.jpg
My great aunt and uncle are 2nd and 3rd from the left, front row. Can anyone hint as to the other suspects please, and suggest a possible date?

Also note the full brake behind. In lined maroon, it has GW/LMS pattern gangways, and the group itself hides a BR built open wagon. The distinctive water tank and back of the downside building dominate the skyline.

Hoping that someone out there has a good memory, as these items are all that I have left, as deaths have reduced the family to me..

regards

Frank Nicholas
hq1hitchin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Re: Frank Highsted/ Bishops Stortford

Post by hq1hitchin »

A splendid photograph - about 1960?- , Frank, and I would think two of the staff shown might still be alive today to judge by their youthful looks. If you don't have any luck here, have you considered submitting the picture and your letter to Railnews, which is still the principal newspaper for the railway industry and widely read, to see if they can help you on : newsdesk@railnews.co.uk

I'm afraid that time is the old enemy for railwaymen as, one by one, the people you worked with when you started on the job go to that great messroom in the sky....

Good luck in your quest

PS- About 3 years ago, there was still a pear tree outside Stortford station, country end - I wonder if it would have been part of his garden?
A topper is proper if the train's a non-stopper!
fcnicholas
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by fcnicholas »

hq1hitchin wrote:
PS- About 3 years ago, there was still a pear tree outside Stortford station, country end - I wonder if it would have been part of his garden?
Actually, no, as my great uncle lived up in the top end of the town by the cemetary. literally a 5 minute walk downhill to work, and a 10 minute climb uphill afterwards.

As a young child, I spent some time with my great aunt and used to go to the allotments at the back of the goods yard (still held by my g/a after his death), and also to the park by the Stort and watch the trains rattle past the footbridge. Services were wholly diesel hauled, even though the wires extended past the site of the Dunmow/Braintree branch. which was still in situ, though I never saw a train on that line.

I recently managed to purchase a Webb-Thompson train staff for that first section, from B/S to Dunmow, so giving me something that my great uncle must have handled at some stage.

Thanks for the hint about Railnews. I'll wait and see if anyone else can come up with anything, then try Railnews in a few weeks time.

regards

Frank N.
PaulG
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by PaulG »

Frank

Have you had a look at the Great Eastern Railway Society web site www.gersociety.org.uk.

I know a number of GER Society members live in the Stortford area.

Regards
Paul
lead_plug
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by lead_plug »

Your photograph took me back to my time as a Stortford commuter.
Despite working at one time as a booking clerk a couple of stations away, I regret that I cannot help out with the names of your "other suspects" but can positively identify the person third from right, front row, as one of the Stortford ticket collectors.