North Eastern Railways Staff Lists

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

nick b
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

North Eastern Railways Staff Lists

Post by nick b »

Hello Everyone,

A quick note to intoduce myself first. My name is Nick Buckley and I am a Driver for Eurotunnel driving ET Shuttle trains and Class 92 Freight.

My Great Grandfather, Joe Dunham, was a Railwayman all His life, and it is only since the release of the 1911 Census I have found the actuall Company He worked for. N B Railways based in Hull. I have watched His career grow from the 1881 Census starting as a cleaner throught the ranks to Engineer but no actual mention of the company until now. On researching the NBR I belive it became LNER in Circa 1942. Was this also part of the Hull & Barnsley?

Any help on Staff listings/records Etc. would be much appreciated.

Nick
Last edited by nick b on Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: NBR Staff Lists

Post by 52D »

I would guess that its a type error and should read H&BR instead of NBR.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
nick b
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by nick b »

The handwriting on the 1911 Census is difficult to read but it could be H&BR. It says: 'h' or 'n' B Rly Coy. It would make more sense to be the H & BR as NBR was mainly based in Scotland wasn't it? My great Grandfather lived in Hull. Although did NBR take over H & BR in 1905? Later to become LNER.
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

nick b wrote:The handwriting on the 1911 Census is difficult to read but it could be H&BR. It says: 'h' or 'n' B Rly Coy. It would make more sense to be the H & BR as NBR was mainly based in Scotland wasn't it? My great Grandfather lived in Hull. Although did NBR take over H & BR in 1905? Later to become LNER.
The NER took over the H&BR in 1922 and a year later they became part of the LNER
nick b
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by nick b »

Bill Bedford wrote:
nick b wrote:The handwriting on the 1911 Census is difficult to read but it could be H&BR. It says: 'h' or 'n' B Rly Coy. It would make more sense to be the H & BR as NBR was mainly based in Scotland wasn't it? My great Grandfather lived in Hull. Although did NBR take over H & BR in 1905? Later to become LNER.
The NER took over the H&BR in 1922 and a year later they became part of the LNER
Thank you for that info Bill. Is there anywhere I may be able to find the Staff listings as mentioned in my original query? :D :?:
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

nick b wrote:Thank you for that info Bill. Is there anywhere I may be able to find the Staff listings as mentioned in my original query?
Any staff record will be in the National Archives at Kew, but I believe the many are subject to a 100 year rule.
hq1hitchin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by hq1hitchin »

Bill Bedford wrote:
nick b wrote:Thank you for that info Bill. Is there anywhere I may be able to find the Staff listings as mentioned in my original query?
Any staff record will be in the National Archives at Kew, but I believe the many are subject to a 100 year rule.

The Freedom of Information Act has long superceded the 100 years rule, which only now applies in exceptional circumstances.

http://www.30yearrulereview.org.uk/background.htm

Good luck anyway, Nick - not sure staff records were scrupulously preserved though
A topper is proper if the train's a non-stopper!
nick b
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by nick b »

Just for interest as I was searching the National Archives:- 'Quote'

Incorporated under act of 26th August 1880 as Hull, Barnsley and West Riding Junction Railway and Dock Company. Name was changed to Hull and Barnsley Railway Company by act of 30th June 1905. North Eastern Railway Company, Hull and Barnsley Railway Company, and Hull Joint Dock Committee were dissolved and united into one company, by name North Eastern Railway Company, as from 1st April 1922 by virtue of North Eastern and Hull and Barnsley Railway Companies Amalgamation Scheme 1922 dated 1st April 1922. This North Eastern Railway Company became part of London and North Eastern Railway Company as from 1st January 1923 under North Eastern, Eastern and East Scottish Group Amalgamation Scheme 1922 dated 30th December 1922.

Still looking for Staff lists though! :roll:
nick b
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by nick b »

Two years on and I am still looking :cry: I have been to Kew today, and spent a lot of time looking through original records of NER. My Great Grand Father Joseph Dunham (engineer) was not to be found. However His brother, John Robert Dunham was a Shunter at the Dairycoats Depot in Hull c.1911 according to the Census. Has anyone any ideas please? :?
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Staffing information (joiners, promotions, transfers, retirements, etc.) was usually included in a Company magazine if there was one - certainly that applies to the other main constituent companies but I'm not sure whether the H&B produced an inhouse magazine or other staff paper and there doesn't appear to be a line society to make enquiries of. You could try Hull City Archives in case they have anything: http://www.hullcc.gov.uk/portal/page?_p ... ema=PORTAL

PS did you know that if you go back and edit your original post it gives you the chance to correct the topic title from NBR to H&BR...?
Solario
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Solario »

If you contact the North Eastern Railway Association, they may be able to give you some guidance -
http://www.ner.org.uk/
nick b
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by nick b »

A little bit of success! I have found my Great Grandfather in the North Eastern Railway Servants' Pension Society. He entered service in 1894 and was a driver in 1907 at Hull
nick b
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by nick b »

Success! After a trip to the National Archives I have found my Great Grandfathers Staff Register for North Eastern Railways. I have (in the register) found a couple of Locos that He drove. In Particular No.1212 but no idea of the class, Any suggestions?
Nick p.s. He was a bit of a character in His Time!!!
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: North Eastern Railways Staff Lists

Post by 52D »

1212 was the original number for a P3 class 0-6-0 this became a class J27 in 1923. The original number was replaced by 5845 by the LNER in 1946 and by BR it became 65845. From 1948 onwards the loco was shedded at Selby and York finally working at North Blyth till scrapping in Feb 65. I have had a look at my books and have even managed to spot this loco at Morpeth coming off the Blyth and Tyne route.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
nick b
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Re: North Eastern Railways Staff Lists

Post by nick b »

52D wrote:1212 was the original number for a P3 class 0-6-0 this became a class J27 in 1923. The original number was replaced by 5845 by the LNER in 1946 and by BR it became 65845. From 1948 onwards the loco was shedded at Selby and York finally working at North Blyth till scrapping in Feb 65. I have had a look at my books and have even managed to spot this loco at Morpeth coming off the Blyth and Tyne route.
Wow! Many thanks for that info 52D much appreciated :D :D