General railway help please

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

loujn
NER Y7 0-4-0T

General railway help please

Post by loujn »

I am trying to research my great great grandfather John Booth. He was born in East Markham, Notts and we first find him working on the railway at Woodhouse Junction, Sheffield in the late 1880's. From then he moved to Staveley, Chesterfield and was an engine driver for Great Central who i believe were taken over by LNER in 1923.
I know that John was 1 of the first 5 members of ASLEF at Sheffield and that he remained an active member of the union.

Can anyone tell me more abut the stations at Woodhouse Junction or Staveley? anyone know any history of ASLEF? any info would be greatfully received as my railway knowledge is limited! any suggestions for futher research lines also appreciated.
Thanks
stembok
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Re: General railway help please

Post by stembok »

loujn: There are two autobiographical books by Eric Beavor 'Steam Was My Calling' (1974) and Steam Motive Power Depots (1983?), which may give a bit of background. Eric Beavor was an LNER/BR motive power officer and spent some time as Shedmaster at Staveley GC Motive Power Depot. In one of the books he gives an account of his time at the shed at Staveley There is also 'The Lighted Flame' (1950) A History of ASLEF by Norman McKillop. Getting a view of the books could be a problem, depending on your location, but the library at the National Railway Museum ,York should have copies of them. Incidentally, there were two motive power depots in the Staveley area, hence the Staveley GC for the old Great Central depot. I believe that the official historical records of ASLEF are held in the Modern Records Centre at the University of Warwick. Good luck!
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Also worth tracking down is the video/DVD Marsden rail part 10 Sheffield to Nottingham this will show you what sort of work went on in the area.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
loujn
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by loujn »

Hi,

Thanks to you both for your relpies - i will follow the leads that you have given me.
Signalboxes.com
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Signalboxes.com »

A bit of a late reply.....but please visit my site www.signalboxes.com to see pics of Woodhouse Junction.

Thanks, Frankie.