Bill and Ronny Kane.

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Jingling Geordie
NER J27 0-6-0

Bill and Ronny Kane.

Post by Jingling Geordie »

For a brief period in the late 60s-mid 70s I was related by marriage to these two gents.

Bill was a typical chirpy,cheeky "cock-sparrer" east end boy who started life on a GER freight shed somewhere in inner East London (Perhaps Minories?). He finished his career as Yard Foreman? at Northumberland Park Freight Yard.

His son Ronny was a big bluff, jovial, friendly man who started his working life at Stratford shed as an Engine Cleaner during WW2. He ended up driving Electric Suburbans out of Liverpool St. He spent most of his working life on local passenged link but nearing the end of steam he drove Brits on the Freight Link from Temple Mills and other Eastern Region Freight Yards to LM and other regions? Freight Yards.

Does anybody remember them and if so what can you tell me about them? They are both dead, Bill at a good age but Ronny went early. I have fond memories of both of them and I so wish I'd pumped them with questions about the GER/LNER/BR Eastern Region.

Jingling Geordie
NER J27 0-6-0

Re: Bill and Ronny Kane.

Watto All,
I've just finished reading the "Memories" thread on the Railway Chats forum and would recomend it to one and all. I'm astonished just how many of us North Londoners there are on this site. Anyway it reminded me of the following.

I and my then fiance were visiting her maternal grandfather, a Bill Kane, who'd been Yard Foreman? at Northumberland Park. He related a lot of tales but I remember this one.

"One Saturday this bloke turns up all dressed as a brussel (Brussel Sprout=scout). He's quite irate and wants to know where his van load of tents has gone. It seems that we'd lost it in a shunt and some s*d had "ticked it off". Apparently there was a whole troop of Scouts stuck at Shanklin IOW."

You should have seen his face when I told him that I was one of that troop and that we'd had to spend the night slept in one of the waiting rooms on Shanklin Station. He quickly changed the subject. On holiday on the IOW I made a sentimental visit to Shanklin Station a few years ago and the Waiting room is still there.

However though I thought nothing of it at the time, fingers had been pulled out and the gear turned up the next day. Does anybody have any idea how that could have been achieved? The incident occurred somewhere between 1958-1960.

lead_plug
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by lead_plug »

Oh no - you can't blame me for this one!
I was a clerk at Northumberland Pk. but left there for a life in the country in 1957 (Roydon)

I used to do the paybills for Park Yard but regret that I do not recollect the name.

If the consignment was lost in the marshalling yard. at which depot was it loaded? We had no goods depot at Northumberland Park.

Wouldn't camping equipment have been sent as passenger rated traffic in view of the possibility of delay in transit - especially to an overseas destination?

Alec Ramsdale
Jingling Geordie
NER J27 0-6-0

Watto Alec in addition to 4X 6 man tents, there were other items such as two trek-carts, a mobile outdoor kitchen, a huge oblong mess table and two equally large benches + utensils and plates and so on.

All I know is that Bill Kane told me the story about the Brussel.

lead_plug
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by lead_plug »

Hi 421,
I must pass on this one, it's not much use my theorising on the cause of your uncomfortable night in the waiting room at dear old Shanklin. My time as a clerk was spent mainly on the Enfield Tn line where passsenger traffic ruled, affording little experience other than ticket issuing.
I wonder if Bill Kane was, in fact Northumberland Park's Station Master ? He would then be in charge of Park Yard and would become an accessible target for the sprout!
I know that Mr C.W.Green who was S.M. in my time moved to Lower Edmonton in time to suffer the start-up problems with the electrified services.
Perhaps Bill Kane then took charge of Northumberland Pk.?
Looking at your list of camping impedimenta brings home the size of the effort put in by the senior scouters in order to make the camp a success. I hope that the weather was kind, we North Londoners like our comforts.

Lastly, having seen what happened to a group of passengers who dared to spend the night in a country waiting room (The Ghost Train, Arthur Askey & Richard Murdoch c1940) I might have spent a uneasy night there myself
Alec.
Jingling Geordie
NER J27 0-6-0

Watto LP.

At the time I'd no interest in railways. That had died with the death of steam on the local lines. So in all honesty I don't think I ever knew the exact nature of Bill Kane's employment apart from the facts that he started out at somewhere like the minories as perhaps a "messenger boy", worked for GER and then LNER and BR, and I thought he was was in freight/goods.

Re the night on Shanklin station I have no memories that go beyond the waiting room building.

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents
I was a scout a long time ago in Wood Green, we went to a camp in Brecon, but we had the 'luxury' of a furniture removal van? 40 scouts all cramed in the back with 6 tents 1 marquee, all our sleeping bags and bags of clothes, plus all the cooking equipment, the back of the van was always open (sucking the fumes in) no wonder we kept throwing up out the back of the van, god help the cars following us??? :lol: :lol:
manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Jaydub
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Jaydub »

Hello there.
I remember Ron Kane when I was at Stratford in the 70's. He was in the electric link whilst I was there but unfortunately I can't tell you much more as it is nigh on 30 years since I left Stratford.