Looking for info on William Arnold Taylor

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

hardiga
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Looking for info on William Arnold Taylor

Post by hardiga »

Looking for any info on William Arnold Taylor who was born in Cudworth, nr Barnsley, and worked on LNER from about 1930. I know that he was a guardsman, married to Dorothy Tiss Gore Harvey in 1951.
He had about 8 brothers and sisters, lived in later years around Ashby, Scunthorpe, Gainsborough. My memories are when they lived in village of Scotton, nr Gainsborough, but I know very little of his life from his birth in 1916 to 1950's.
Bill's father was Fred Taylor, who also worked on the railways, but I believe Fred probably worked for the Hull & Barnsley Railway, as he was born in Cudworth which lies on the H&BR railway line.
Bill and all his brothers and sisters appear to have been born in district of Barnsley, suggesting that the family remained in Cudworth for many years.

If anyone knows of any railway museums that may be worth a visit so that I can trace the history, I would love to hear from you.
Many Thanks
Graham
hardiga
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by hardiga »

Further info: I think that William Taylor lived in a railway cottage/house at northorpe near scotton and Kirton Lindsey. Are there any locals that can tell me if this is just a small village with railway cottages by a road crossing?
Hope to visit in the near future to check this out.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Here's a street map of Northorpe:

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2& ... e=r&lvl=14

If you zoom in/out, I don't think it can be a very big place - you could be right about cottages.
Also try looking at the satellite/aerial view (same link). Unfortunately it is a bit low resolution. You could try Google Maps or Google Earth to see if it has a better picture (Google Earth's coverage of the Leeds/Bradford area is sufficient for railway workers on the KWVR to be visible!)

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

Yeah, but usless round the ECML in North Yorkshire
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
hardiga
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by hardiga »

Thanks Folks for the google info.
Have found more info relating to william's time working for LNER.
He started at around 14 being a carriage cleaner, and after 3 years changed jobs to become a goods guard.
Later, went to war, and after war, returned to LNER as a shunter of 03 class engines. He then went from there, back as a goods guard again.
Apparently these jobs were undertaken mostly at the Appleby Frodingham Steel Works.
I know there is an Appleby Friodingham Preservation Society, and I plan a visit up north soon to see them.

Does anyone know where I can see a working 03 Class Shunter? Steam not diesel type.

Also, where can I go to find out the actual engine numbers that would have been at Appleby Frodingham from circa 1930-1948?
Is there a database of this info anywhere?
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Bullhead »

hardiga wrote:Does anyone know where I can see a working 03 Class Shunter? Steam not diesel type.
The 03s weren't shunters - they were main line freight engines. See http://www.lner.info/locos/O/o1o3.shtml for details and some pictures. Unfortunately, none has survived into preservation.
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Yes the O3 (steam) engines were a renumbering of the Gresley O1 2-8-0 mineral engines.

Usually when people say "03" (note the zero rather than an O - I know it is both ambiguous and subtle with this screen font!) they are referring to a small diesel shunter resembling the "Class 04" Drewry Shunters.

There's an 04 with tram skirts on this page here:

http://www.lner.info/article/wisbech/stock.shtml

I'm pretty certain they've all be withdrawn, but I think both 03 and 04 diesel shunters survive in preservation.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia