Castle Eden new railway

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

ranzaboy
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Castle Eden new railway

Post by ranzaboy »

Hello, I came across your fascinating site by accident and wondered if anybody could help. Doing family research I have come across an ancestor in the 1901 census. He is living at East Terrace, Monks Hesleden, Castle Eden Colliery. His profession is given as "navvy new railway" and he was boarding with the navvy foreman. It is in trying to find information on this railway that I came across your site. The only thing I have found is that I believe this new railway might have been the construction of the NER coast line from Seaham to Hartlepool. Would anybody be able to shed any light? Any help greatly appreciated!!
gner
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Re: Castle Eden new railway

Post by gner »

In responce to; The only thing I have found is that I believe this new railway might have been the construction of the NER coast line from Seaham to Hartlepool
The Durham Coast (NER) line between Sunderland and West Hartlepool was completed in 1905; and does run close to Castle Eden. Also the only other railway neer the area was the Castle Eden Branch railway which was built in 1875 so thus making the NER coast line the most likley to be the construction your ansestor worked on.