John Patten, NER Alnwick

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

John Patten, NER Alnwick

Post by 60041 »

I am posting this in both LNER locomotives and LNER people as it refers to both!
A distant relation of mine was John Patten who, along with his sons James and Frederick, worked for the NER at Alnwick.
The 1891 census has John working as a shunter at Alnwick, but he later became a Traffic Foreman and was killed in an accident at Alnwick Station in June 1917.
Last year Fred's daughter died and this photograph was found amongst her things. It is thought that one of the figures in the picture is John, but as we have no other pictures of him, we can't identify him.
If we can identify the loco, then it will give a date for the picture, and possibly then identify John by the clothes that he is wearing, either as a shunter or a Traffic Foreman.
Can anyone tell me anything about No. 73, dates built and withdrawn, class etc. and secondly is anyone able to say from the clothes which man is likely to be a shunter or traffic foreman?
Attachments
John Patten and locomotive.jpg
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: John Patten, NER Alnwick

Post by richard »

The locomotive thread (which has quite a discussion, already) is here:

ner-locomotive-at-alnwick-t3134.html

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia