Edward Thompson. Good or Bad

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

S.A.C. Martin

Re: Edward Thompson. Good or Bad

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

jwealleans wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:46 pm
Was that necessary? I am not responsible for Amazon. An error in the description is one of those things.
It was intended to be helpful. Please accept my apologies for what was intended as a positive gesture. In the spirit of not prolonging the debate any further, I shall withdraw.
Hi Jonathon. No no - please accept my apologies. I did not interpret it as a humorous gesture earlier when I should have done.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

65447 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:24 pm 1. His name is Rupert Brown, not Bix.
My apologies, I have corrected this now. I have used the correct name elsewhere.
It is a great pity that Malcolm Crawley is not still with us; his views would have been most insightful, although I have a very shrewd idea what they would be.
I don't think you do. I spoke to Malcolm through a mutual friend and at A1 Trust events. He is mentioned in my original children's book dedications. He was very robust about Thompson but he always was mindful of evidence. I think if he were alive, he would probably have still disliked Thompson - but he would have been open minded enough to consider primary evidence, rediscovered.
2. Are you certain there will be a next edition?
Yes.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

As already said this now becoming very tedious.

If people actually want to buy your book they will , all the endless self promotion on here, is simply achieving nothing.Please stop.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Yes time to close the thread.

A forum member has a new book with new research (I haven't seen it yet) - good to mention it.

The subject is one which tends to go in circles on various places online with little gained, and I think we're at that point.

Perhaps we should go back to pigeon vans (perhaps not); dig up a mostly-forgotten controversy (Alexander McDonnell, anyone?); or unite behind the "Brunel is over-rated" banner :-)
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia