Signalman Loveland of Marshmoor 1971

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Mickey

Re: Signalman Loveland of Marshmoor 1971

Post by Mickey »

laurie1951 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:25 am Hi Mickey ,
I recall that it was 1971 as i do remember Brian Barr coming to see me in Hospital and showed me the news paper cutting . Its very strange maybe what we would call fate or luck , but David lindstrom had asked me if i wanted to come along on that trip. I could not go for some reason , but then ended in hospital with appendicitis.
That's the way fate usually works Laurie. Yes I do remember hearing of the crash happening involving Cliff Loveland and the other's on board that light aircraft as I originally posted at the start of this thread and from a vague memory that light aircraft crash appeared in the Welwyn & Hatfield local newspaper The Welwyn Times that's where I first heard about it. My confusion over the 1968 date maybe because I am confusing the accident with the train crash at Hatfield in early 1968 involving a runaway loose coupled goods train involving the Shredded Wheat train (Temple Mills to Welwyn Garden City) when the driver lost control of the train and it crashed into a stop block at the end of a dead end siding road a couple of hundred yards beyond Hatfield No.3 (box) that crash was also featured in The Welwyn Times as well which I also vaguely remember seeing in the local newspaper at the time that it occurred.

Mickey
laurie1951
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by laurie1951 »

Hi Mickey ,
Funny not been on here for awhile , got a new Lap top so thought i would have a browse. Looking through this thread about Cliff Loveland , i notice you mentioned the train crash at Hatfield. The train Hit the stops whilst shunting back some wagons . I recall this incident a si recall one could i believe go down the road by the Hatfield Railway club and stand right by the crash site and watch the clear up work . I recall standing there amongst a fair size crowd watching the work go on . All many years ago an din the mists of time . I often still think about Cliff Loveland and dave lindstrom Albert Henty . Great guys taken from us well before there time .
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

I went to Hatfield on the Sat. morning laurie1951, expecting to make a usual visit to Hatfield No.2.
Then of course seeing the scene on arriving at the station, obviously quickly abandoned that plan and went to the Down side ground, where one could easily look down on the accident, and of taking a couple of colour slide photos; unaware of course, of both how it had happened, and that there were serious casualties. I remember that area (may not be accurately) as being a small area not far back from the road bridge, of untended grass bordered by some customary concrete post / several single strand wire fencing along the top of the bank.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Firstly regarding Cliff Loveland I presume when he started in the signalling grade as a telegraph lad he went through the signalling school at Hatfield to learn the single needle telegraph but what I am curious to know is was he a telegraph lad at either Welwyn Garden City or maybe Hatfield No.1?. Also I do remember both Cliff's and Albert Henty's names both being mention on a few number of separate occasions when I was in Welwyn Garden City box around 1972-73 and most probably mentioned by Harry Fitzgerald one of the resident signalmen at the box at that time.

Secondly regarding the March 1968 Hatfield crash there is an official accident report available on the Railway Archive website with the signalman who was in Hatfield No.3 when the crash happened being named in the official accident report as relief signalman P.J. Cleverly anyway no blame for the accident was attributed to him but just over two years later I happened to visit Woolmer Green box that was situated between Welwyn North & Knebworth boxes one Saturday afternoon back in August of 1970 and as it happened P.J. was working the box that afternoon although unbeknown to me at that time P.J. was the signalman who was on duty at Hatfield No.3 on the morning of the crash back in March 1968.