drivers of flying scotsman

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

tinks
NER Y7 0-4-0T

drivers of flying scotsman

Post by tinks »

I am trying to find out about my Great Granfather "Aggy Hagland" who i believe was the !st driver of the Flying Scotman. He was from the "Cally" north london and worked from Kings cross. I have been told that there is cigerette cards with him on and that he had drove the queen too any help please would be grateful.
stembok
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Re: drivers of flying scotsman

Post by stembok »

tinks;Don't know whether this is of any help, but here goes. I have a book by H G Forsythe 'Steam Shed Portrait' Atlantic Books, 1981. One of the sheds featured is King's Cross 'Top Shed' and included is a photo of a group of enginemen outside of the ash pit foreman's office C1958. Included in the group is a G. Hagland (fireman). Perhaps the date might have been a bit late for your Great Grandfather as the man in the photo looks perhaps,in his twenties at that time.
kevkay
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by kevkay »

Dear all,
I wonder if you can help me trace or suggest where I might look to find any info relating to my grand father who I'm told was part of an elite stoker/driver team of the Flying Scotsman through it's time trials for the non stop runs from Kings Cross to Edinburgh.The family have no records,logs etc all thrown away when he passed away-shame.
Herbert King is the name I'm looking for-Thanks for your help
Kevin King
Flamingo
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Flamingo »

This question is not unlike the perennial poser "how long is a piece of string?"

Once again it may help those who ask about this topic to remember that the name "Flying Scotsman" applied both to a specific LNER locomotive, the Gresley Pacific best known by the running number LNER 4472, and to the train which departed from London Kings Cross at 10.00 a.m. bound for Edunburgh.

At some stage during the past 87 years since it was built, countless drivers will have handled locomotive no. LNER 4472, and countless other drivers will have worked the 10.00 from Kings Cross without ever going near that specific engine.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

The Search Engine at York holds copies of the LNER staff magazine. A trawl through every issue might be a bit daunting, but if you have significant dates - retirement, promotion, transfer - there's a possibility of finding something.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

tinks wrote:I am trying to find out about my Great Granfather "Aggy Hagland" who i believe was the !st driver of the Flying Scotman. He was from the "Cally" north london and worked from Kings cross. I have been told that there is cigerette cards with him on and that he had drove the queen too any help please would be grateful.

On the 1911 census, there is a George Hagland aged 33 who gives his occupation as Engine Driver GNR. He and his family lived at what looks like 16 Healey Avenue Edmonton at that time and lists his birthplace as Hornsey.

His wife was Catherine aged 36, and six children - Ellen, John, Edward, Albert, Jessie and Ivy.

Do these names have any family connections?

John
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
N2 69574
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by N2 69574 »

hello
i still work at kings cross station,
iam trying to do an "all time kings cross seniority list"
i would love to make contact with you if possible to see if help eachother
my number is 07999307292
email bulliesbashers1959@live.co.uk
:)
jday
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by jday »

Edit: Moved to start new topic.
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

tinks wrote:I am trying to find out about my Great Granfather "Aggy Hagland" who i believe was the !st driver of the Flying Scotman. He was from the "Cally" north london and worked from Kings cross. I have been told that there is cigerette cards with him on and that he had drove the queen too any help please would be grateful.
Have you contacted the NRM? They may have records going back to that time in their historic archives.
BEV570
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by BEV570 »

Hello,

Did anyone come back to you - if you want a copy of the cigarette card showing Billy Hagland, please let me know as I have a copy since he was my Great Grandfather