Alan Pegler - 90

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

brsince78
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Alan Pegler - 90

Post by brsince78 »

I read in the railway press this month that Alan Pegler has just celebrated his 90th birthday. This prompted me to dig out an old recording of his that I transferred from an LP I picked up at a charity shop entitled "No. 4472 Flying Sctosman". It is a narrative story of his life with the locomotive overlaid on recordings of the engine at work.

Specifically he tells the story of the negotiations, discussions and preparations made for the 1968 Edinburgh non-stop runs. It appears that the run was first discussed with BR in 1964 and that Gerry Fiennes was a key supporter until he was sacked in 1967 and despite having successfully completed an almost non-stop Doncaster - Newcastle return run in 1967, ER management said the run could not be performed without a stop. It appears frantic discussions were held to persuade BR to change their minds, which they did at a very late stage.

Can anyone on this forum shed any more light on this episode?
Mickey

Re: Alan Pegler - 90

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mr B
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by mr B »

Reminds me of the last time I saw the second tender it was rotting away at Tanfield, 1980's. In blue.

Mr B
brsince78
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by brsince78 »

Micky wrote:I hope you won't mind me saying through your posting what a great gentleman Mr.Peglar is. ... Micky
Micky

Certainly not..... In my opinion a true pioneer of preservation. I cannot accept any criticism of the outcome of his ill-fated trips to America in the late 60s / early 70s. He gave literally everything for his love of the locomotive he saved. Let us not forget that BR deemed that the A3 class, despite being the first successful Pacific locomotives in the UK, were not worthy of being included in their preserved list. If he had not stepped in, those of us too young to witness them in action would only have photographs and film as evidence of their existence.
chaz harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by chaz harrison »

I would agree that we owe a debt of gratitude to Mr Pegler. I photographed 4472 as it passed through Welwyn North, probably on the special on which you travelled, Micky, the date certainly sounds right. I would love to post the snap but unfortunately the resultant slide is long gone. In those days the locomotive had the kind of celebrity status that Tornado has inherited.

Chaz
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chaz harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by chaz harrison »

Micky wrote:I have seen a picture of The Flying Scotsman on a webb site that shows her in LNER apple green still wearing her German smoke deflectors which looks WRONG to me
...and me. This chestnut has had quite an airing on forum before. My own preference would be for a single chimney with BR green, 'cos that's how I would have seen it as a kid. Still there is no denying that it is a far more efficient machine with the Kylchap exhaust, and Mr Townend's "German" smoke deflectors are a necessary concomitant. It's also obvious why the NRM will want to retain the LNER livery - although how they square that with their avowed policy of keeping exhibits original (think of the justification they offered for not fixing Green Arrow) I don't know.
Regardless of any anachronism involved, I am looking forward to seeing the A3 running again.

Chaz
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brsince78
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by brsince78 »

I managed to find some 16mm cine film of 4472 for sale on eBay a couple of years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzTIApFV8ag

I borrowed a projector, repaired it, and then transferred it to my DV camcorder by filming the projection. It looks like a late 60's trip from Kings Cross. If any of the members of this forum can identify which one I would be most grateful. Unfortunately the film arrived with no accompanying information.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Nearly sure its the anniversary non stop run from around 1968.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
stembok
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by stembok »

Not the anniversary trip. On the May 1st, 1968 anniversary trip 4472 left side by side with D9021 at 10.00 am on the 'Flying Scotsman' train itself and King's Cross was jam packed with people and the media. 4472 was in Platform 10 as I remember and the Deltic was beside it. In the cine film the engine has the crest on cab side and of course the second tender, which dates it as September 1966 onwards. Also she has nowhere near enough coal on her tender for a non-stop to Edinburgh. Some of the exterior shots later in the film show her minus headboard so are perhaps of a different trip. It may be possible to date the trip looking at old photos -if available -from Railway Worlds, Railway Magazines, of the time etc and stock formations, colour etc.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Of course Stembok i should have remembered the start with the Deltic so it rules out that one.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Have posted this one some time before, but it seems rather apposite to give it another outing in this thread : - ....
Attachments
A Saturday morning, in 1968 if memory serves : Twin-tendered 4472 with The 'Norfolk Enterprise',  approaches the south end of New Southgate station on the Down Fast.  Maroon stock then used for excursions, stabled in the Wallside Siding (the 'wall' being that of the 'Colney Hatch' mental hospital). The bricked-up archway in the wall once allowed entry into the hospital grounds of a siding at 90-degrees off a wagon turnplate in 'the Wallside', which, when needing to be used, had to be unbolted from the signal box, as wagons being turned fouled the adjacent Down Slow line.<br />.
A Saturday morning, in 1968 if memory serves : Twin-tendered 4472 with The 'Norfolk Enterprise', approaches the south end of New Southgate station on the Down Fast. Maroon stock then used for excursions, stabled in the Wallside Siding (the 'wall' being that of the 'Colney Hatch' mental hospital). The bricked-up archway in the wall once allowed entry into the hospital grounds of a siding at 90-degrees off a wagon turnplate in 'the Wallside', which, when needing to be used, had to be unbolted from the signal box, as wagons being turned fouled the adjacent Down Slow line.
Last edited by StevieG on Fri May 21, 2010 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

brsince78 wrote:I managed to find some 16mm cine film of 4472 for sale on eBay a couple of years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzTIApFV8ag

I borrowed a projector, repaired it, and then transferred it to my DV camcorder by filming the projection. It looks like a late 60's trip from Kings Cross. If any of the members of this forum can identify which one I would be most grateful. Unfortunately the film arrived with no accompanying information.
Interesting little film. Many thanks.
A variety of locations; Welwyn Viaduct at Digswell perhaps; Kings Cross obviously; New Southgate; just north of Oakleigh Park I think, Potters Bar golf course; Hawkshead bridge perhaps; Ganwick (with Potters Bar Tunnel); then Winchmore Hill !
Good stuff.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \