Edwin Garnsey

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Graham4405
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Edwin Garnsey

Post by Graham4405 »

Edwin Thomas George Garnsey, my late Grandfather worked for GER, LNER and finally retired from British Rail in 1962. He was born 18/10/1902 and passed away in July 1988. My memory is that he worked in an office above Liverpool Street station. I never went to his office, but I believe he probably pointed up to it from the platform to indicate to me where he worked. Recently I asked my mother (his daughter) what his role was, but all she could tell me was that he was "high up" in management. Tonight I found this site and thought I would ask if anyone has any further information on what his role there was? I appreciate any information that is available.
Graham R

Member Southern Downs Steam Railway | ARHS Qld
My Rail Photos
If you enjoyed time wasted, it wasn't wasted at all!
AndyRush
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Re: Edwin Garnsey

Post by AndyRush »

I suggest you also try the Great Eastern Railway Society at: http://www.gersociety.org.uk/
There are a number of ex Liverpool Street office staff who belong the GERS email forum and who might be able to help,

Regards

Andy
hq1hitchin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by hq1hitchin »

That would have been the old Hamilton House, Graham - a right dump by the 1970s when I was there. A chunk of it on Bishopsgate had been blown out in an air raid in about 1941, but the wing over the station remained intact. Sorry but don't know the name - I only joined in 1966
A topper is proper if the train's a non-stopper!
Graham4405
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Graham4405 »

Very much belated reply. Thanks for the small amount of information from those who posted above. I did get some information from the GER Society, but not much. As an aside I did get an enquiry from someone who found my initial post via Google and has supplied a lot of family history information for which I'm very grateful.
Graham R

Member Southern Downs Steam Railway | ARHS Qld
My Rail Photos
If you enjoyed time wasted, it wasn't wasted at all!
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Graham,
In case you don't know the Liverpool Street station and its surrounding buildings of today, and thought of going to look for Hamilton House (if that is where your grandfather worked). you won't find it. Its complete site was redeveloped in the late 1980s/'90s and is now multi-storey non-railway office accommodation fronting onto Bishopsgate, also extending above the whole 'east side' of the station (platforms 11-18), except for the Bishopsgate entrance to the concourse thereof, making it appear claustrophobically subterranean; a complete contrast to its former self, and to the 'west side' (the original station) which happily retains its ornate overall roof.
There was even a new 7-ish-storey Hamilton House (west of the station) from around 1986, a part of the huge Broadgate development which was created on the site of the North London Railway/London & North Western Railway / London Midland & Scottish Railway / BR's Broad Street station, which was in railway use from its first occupation, but passed to other tenants in 1999 and was soon demolished despite its relative youth, in favour of a much larger structure, presumably wanted by much grander other business(es?).
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \