1960s etc. Ex-GN Main line in London district

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Dave Cockle
NER J27 0-6-0

Re: 1960s etc. Ex-GN Main line in London district

Post by Dave Cockle »

Welcome to the forum Laurie. Some great memories of everyday life on the GN Main Line have been recorded here.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Yeah welcome on board Laurie, mention of Keith Challon reminds me of when i actually met him when i visited Holloway North Down box one afternoon in 1975 i believe it was and he was working the box as a regular signalman although i'm not sure if he remained in that position until when the box finally closed in August 1976 but he did at some point or other transfer over to being a guard at Kings Cross working on the suburban services out of Kings Cross to WGC & Hertford North on the Craven units just prior to electrification of the G.N. suburban services in 1977 because i recall riding on a Cravens unit one day back to WGC and Keith was the guard!. I believe Keith lived at Welwyn Garden City at that time and i recall seeing him around occasionally at Kings Cross around the 1976 era, i recall he use to dress a bit like a secondman of that period and not like a guard and was usually to be seen wearing a British Rail locoman's hat and short jacket of the 1970s type and flared jeans carrying a guards bag.
laurie1951
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by laurie1951 »

Hi mYes that sounds like the Keith Challon i knew , though memory gets a bit faded . i often wonder if keith is still around on trhe railway .I am amazed at the postings on this forum brings so many names back in my memory . often wonder about Jim Burnett he wa saround when i was at Barnet North. Also interesting to see names like Stan colbert, fred Robinson ,and Norman Greenwood . all great characters .
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

laurie1951 wrote:Stan colbert, fred Robinson ,and Norman Greenwood.
Stan Colbert a small'ish balded headed LDC bloke who was a relief-signalman and who was working Hatfield no.1 along with Dave Vince who was working Hatfield no.2 at the time of a 'high speed de-railment' in early 1966 both get a name check into the official accident report of the accident that happened just before a diesel hauled Down Cambridge 'parly' passed Hatfield no.1 box due to a broken rail in the Down fast line strangely though the signalman in Hatfield no.3 doesn't get a mention even though the box was open at the time of the de-railment and the de-railed train finally came to a stand outside the box?.

Dave Vince on closure of Hatfield no.2 in April 1974 went to Hornsey Up Goods for the last couple of years before that place closed.

Fred Robinson god knows wot ever happened to him after all the boxes closed?.

Norman Greenwood apparently died a fair number of years ago now.

Mickey