Platelayers Trolley

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

geofrancis
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Platelayers Trolley

Post by geofrancis »

At Gainsorough Central the platelayer gang had a trolley they would lift on and off the track, they would liase with the signalmen when they wanted to use it, I think it would carry about 8 men,4 aside
It had a Jap 2 stroke engine the speed regulator was on big metal disc
I wonder if there is any still in existance?
Geofrancis
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Platelayers Trolley

Post by Bryan »

In the Ryedale area of N Yorks at least.
Many of the trolleys when offtracked onto the rails set at 90 degrees. They plugged into a circuit with a special cable link to confirm the siding was occupied and the "Main" was clear.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Crossing both my interests im sure i remember someone is restoring a BSA powered platelayers trolley and i think there are a few J.A.P versions around as well.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
third-rail
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by third-rail »

this style of trolley is in much demand in the usa where there are clubs and they go and run them on the deserted weekend frieght only tracks, and some of those tracks are very senic.see youtube for video clips
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

There is a Yahoo group focused on Wickham trolleys of all gauges and overseas as well.
With links to other groups of a similar nature.

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/W ... Ware/links