station master at wressle and foggathorpe

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

jim j
NER Y7 0-4-0T

station master at wressle and foggathorpe

Post by jim j »

my relitive thomas johnson was station master at wressle in the 1860's then moved to foggathorpe about 1870 to 1890 when his son in law william creasor scott took over ,i'm having trouble working out who he work for ,looked at to many sites and got confuesd
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: station master at wressle and foggathorpe

Post by strang steel »

Wouldn't that be the North Eastern Railway?
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
jim j
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by jim j »

think your right ,just some times you look on internet sites and dates of who took over what change from one to another and peoples thoughts on what took place
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

From the way I understand it, the NER leased the lines from the Hull and Selby for about 20 years before taking them over completely. I presume that the employees would be under NER control, but maybe someone more knowledgeable on these matters would be able to confirm this?

I presume that you have looked at the relevant census returns, because sometimes they do add the company name in the box marked 'employment'.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/