Frederick Dodson, employee at Westhall Crossing, Halesworth

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

dianawright
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Frederick Dodson, employee at Westhall Crossing, Halesworth

Post by dianawright »

Please can any one help? My gt uncle Frederick Robert Dodson was employed prior to his retirement (circa 1965) as "Crossing Keeper" at Westhall Crossing outside of Halesworth, Suffolk. Him & his wife Lil nee Haward occupied the "Crossing Keeper's Cottage" there. Prior to this they lived at 13 Wissett Road, Halesworth (circa 1928). I am told that at this time Fred went by bicycle every day to his employment at Halesworth Station. The trouble is no one knows in what capacity he was employed, prior to his time at Westhall? Is there any one out there who might be able to help point me in the right direction to find the answer to this question? (Fred was born 1902 & died 1978, he also had 3 bros employed in various capacities on the railways).
Thanking you in anticipation

Diana Wright nee Dodson
AndyRush
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Re: Frederick Dodson, employee at Westhall Crossing, Halesworth

Post by AndyRush »

I suggest you take a look at the Great Eastern Railway Society site at http://www.gersociety.org.uk/ and click the 'Genealogy' link. You are able to ask for the digitised copy of the LNER Magazine to be searched to see if there is any mention of a name (promotion etc). Unfortunately, I din't think anything similar has been done for post 1947 staff magazines yet.

Good luck

Andy
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Frederick Dodson, employee at Westhall Crossing, Halesworth

Post by 65447 »

Another possibility would be to contact the Museum at Halesworth, located in the station buildings but with access to much local history.