Wartime Memories

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

geofrancis
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Wartime Memories

Post by geofrancis »

At the age of 15, I joined the railway as a Telegram Boy in the Telegraph Office on Doncaster Station,
During wartime there was always lots of servicemen travelling. Memories
1. I remember one instance when was given an urgent TAS telegram (train approaching station) to deliver to the Military Police, to intercept a soldier on the next train in, I delivered the message and waited to see what happened. As the train drew in to the platform a compartment window smashed and there was this soldier stood at the window weeing out on to the platform. That soldiers feet never touch the ground after that.
2. In those days animals would be transported by train in the Guards Van. This day there was a goat
tethered up to a stauntion, waiting for its connection. As you can imagine it had made quite a mess.
A train pulled in and out stepped Jolly Jack Tar rather worse for wear , on spying the goat he made a fuss of it finishing up rolling about in all the mess, another job for the Military Police.
3. On a sadder note, a sailor carrying his luggage saw the train he wanted leaving, he opened the carriage door, miised his footing and somehow fell between the train and the platform, he did not survive.
Soldiers on leave from France, Sailors from the Russian Convoys.
Not so happy Memories
Geofrancis
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Wartime Memories

Post by richard »

(moved from LNER News to LNER People)
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia