OVS Bulleid - Book or other Reference Sources

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

OVS Bulleid - Book or other Reference Sources

Post by 65447 »

Can anyone please advise of biographical or other texts that contain useful information specifically concerning Bulleid's time on the LNER, that is mainstream references and not just casual mentions (such as may be found in FAS Brown's "Nigel Gresley Locomotive Engineer").

TIA
hq1hitchin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Re: OVS Bulleid - Book or other Reference Sources

Post by hq1hitchin »

65447 wrote:Can anyone please advise of biographical or other texts that contain useful information specifically concerning Bulleid's time on the LNER, that is mainstream references and not just casual mentions (such as may be found in FAS Brown's "Nigel Gresley Locomotive Engineer").

TIA
This book by his son should be worth a look, if you haven't seen it already:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Master-Builders ... 0711012946
A topper is proper if the train's a non-stopper!
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Thanks, have reserved a copy from the local library service.
73D
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 73D »

There is always 'Bulleid of the Southern' also by HAV Bullied. This also covers his time with the GNR and LNER. I have also included a short Biolgraphical Timeline on the Bulleid Society web site: http://www.bulleidsociety.org/OVS_Bulle ... raphy.html
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Thanks Richard, and a Happy New Year to you - added to my library reservation list. Interesting timelines too - e.g. developed welded carriage underframes 1926, but first production not until 1934.

Is the streamlined B17 print anywhere nearer yet? I note that you've removed the 'wish list' function from your site... :?
73D
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 73D »

Bulleid was a great fan of welding and Cock o' the North's unique welded tender may be down to OVSB and what else on the loco? To my mind it has his finger prints all over it!

At present I haven't any plans to produce a streamlined B17, but that's not to say I never will! The list I had on the site was taken down as it was getting a bit unwieldy and by then I had a good idea of what would be of interest. I still have a suggestion for people to use.

Still a couple of A4s to come!