Roy Clements, Hitchin driver.

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

elydock
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Roy Clements, Hitchin driver.

Post by elydock »

Does anyone remember Roy Clements who was a driver based at Hitchin? He used to live in at Woolmer Green. Is he still with us? He originated from the Midland somewhere near Rotherham I recall.
macduff
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Re: Roy Clements, Hitchin driver.

Post by macduff »

Roy Clements is still with us, i see him most days when he is out and about on his electric scooter (legs not too good) travelling into Knebworth.
elydock
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by elydock »

That's great to hear. Thanks.
barry
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by barry »

Hi worked with Roy in the 70s when he was a driver at Hitchin. Great character who never lost his Last of the Summer Wine accent. Just loved to hear his tales of steam, snow and loose coupled coal trains that had different ideas about stopping than the driver had. I noticed his Yorkshire accent got stronger as he ralated his tale and bits were added each time he told it to make it a little more interesting.
One always felt confident at the rear of a loose coupled 1300 ton balast train if Roy was the driver.
Great guy with a character that made coming to work a pleasure, a dose of Roy should have been made mandatory at the begining of each shift. Pity we cannot clone him and spread a few copies at random around the current raiway network it would be a far better place.
I am in contact with another Hitchin driver who worked with Roy until his retirement will try and give update.
barry
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by barry »

Hi Elydock. if you ring me 07889949257 after 19.30 I can give you contact details of Roy.
elydock
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by elydock »

Thanks Barry. Great to hear he is still around. I sadly lost touch with Roy after I moved to the Western. I will call you soon.
bob Clements
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by bob Clements »

am sorry to say dad passed away on the 22rd October 2020 he was cremated in skegness on the 9th of November there will be a internment service in knebworth crematorium in the next few weeks i will post the time and date when I no