Clifford Ash, April 1947, strike at Bishopsgate Goods Depot

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

foxspivey
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Clifford Ash, April 1947, strike at Bishopsgate Goods Depot

Post by foxspivey »

The appointment of my grandfather Clifford Joseph Thomas Ash to the post of Chief Cartage Clerk at Bishopsgate Goods Depot in April 1947 caused an unofficial strike of 700 cartage staff, and swiftly spread to other depots with around 3000 workers out on strike for several days. The workers returned after the intervention of the general secretary of the NUR but the ill-feeling obviously lived on. I have a scrapbook of newspaper articles compiled at the time, but I would be grateful for any pointers to LNER archives, papers or staff magazines that might help me fill out the story. Thank you in advance.
Diane
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Clifford Ash, April 1947, strike at Bishopsgate Goods Depot

Post by 65447 »

There are a few mentions of Capt. C J T Ash in the LNER Magazine of 1947 (I haven't looked in previous years). Two examples, taken from September 1947, note his transfer from Clerk, Chief of Police Office to Bishopsgate, while another refers to the floral tribute laid on behalf of Great Eastern Railway Old Comrades Association on July 27th, the thirty-first anniversary of the death (execution) of Capt. H Fryatt and notes that Capt. C J T Ash MBE, the Hon. General Secretary of the Association, was one of those who visited the memorial at Liverpool Street.

Details of how to purchase copies of the Magazine on DVD are here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4473

However, apart from the transfer to Bishopsgate there is no mention of any strike at that depot.
foxspivey
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Re: Clifford Ash, April 1947, strike at Bishopsgate Goods Depot

Post by foxspivey »

Thank you for your swift response and the details you have given - I will follow up the leads in the magazine.
Best regards
Diane