The end of an era (Top Shed)

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

MickB
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

The end of an era (Top Shed)

Post by MickB »

Just thought that I would bring this to the attention of Group members. This Wednesday (16/2/11) the end of an era is marked with the final journey before retirement of Kings Cross East Coast driver Dave Webber.

Dave is now the last serving former Top Shed footplateman, having started as a Fireman there way back in 1962. He makes his final driving trip before retirement on 1N03, 08:30 KX to Newcastle, returning with the up 'Highland Chieftain' 07:55 Inverness to KX from Newcastle.

MickB
hq1hitchin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Re: The end of an era (Top Shed)

Post by hq1hitchin »

MickB wrote:Just thought that I would bring this to the attention of Group members. This Wednesday (16/2/11) the end of an era is marked with the final journey before retirement of Kings Cross East Coast driver Dave Webber.

Dave is now the last serving former Top Shed footplateman, having started as a Fireman there way back in 1962. He makes his final driving trip before retirement on 1N03, 08:30 KX to Newcastle, returning with the up 'Highland Chieftain' 07:55 Inverness to KX from Newcastle.

MickB
Good luck to him in retirement, he's seen an awful lot of change on the railways, some good, some not so good. I wonder what he thinks the best times in his career were?
A topper is proper if the train's a non-stopper!
MickB
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by MickB »

hq1hitchin wrote:
MickB wrote:Just thought that I would bring this to the attention of Group members. This Wednesday (16/2/11) the end of an era is marked with the final journey before retirement of Kings Cross East Coast driver Dave Webber.

MickB
Good luck to him in retirement, he's seen an awful lot of change on the railways, some good, some not so good. I wonder what he thinks the best times in his career were?
From my last conversation with him, it was firing an A4 on the 02:00 KX to Peterborough just before his 17th birthday in 1963.
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

That is quite a memory.
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
MickB
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by MickB »

CVR1865 wrote:That is quite a memory.
Having ridden with Dave Webber today on his farewell trip, I managed to find out that the A4 involved was Union of South Africa and that the train actually went to Grantham and not Peterborough.
Hermit 109
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Hermit 109 »

Been offline for some time and only just caught up with the latest news. I remember Dave Webber well, we were both '62 firemen at top shed and shared a lot of similar experiences. Seem to think he took my place in 2 link with George Elliot when I moved up to the top link. I wish him well after his long railway career and hope he enjoys his retirement. I've been retired now for 7 years after being lucky enough to be offered the chance to go early and can thoroughly recommend the experience.
Wish I'd been able to meet him before he went, but didn't know there were still ex Top Shed men ploughing up & down the East Coast.