Arthur Taylor Senior and Junior Top Shed /Silver Link

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Sharon.baker
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Arthur Taylor Senior and Junior Top Shed /Silver Link

Post by Sharon.baker »

I am one of the Great grandchildren of Arthur Taylor (Snr)who drove the Silver Link. I have been tracing the family history and have found out that his father was also a locomotive driver at the time of my great grandparents marriage in 1905. I was wondering how I could find out which railway company Arthur Taylor worked for before the LNER was created in the 1920s as it might help me to trace his father Charles William Taylor.

Also is there anyone who can remember Arthur Tayor of Top Shed? I remember him as a a real gentleman and as a child he would tell me tales of the railways, most of which I fail to recall. One tale which I am not sure can be verified ( but anyone who knew Arthur and his brother Charile would tell you that Arthur was the straight guy and Charlie was the one who would pull your leg) . Arthur always said that the trials for the famous speed run in the Silver Link resulted in even higher speeds but they in obtaining them the valves were blown on the day prior to the much publicised speed run.They were unable to replace them in time and Arthur said that the decission was made to change name plates and it was actually the Silver Fox that did the famous run wearing the nameplate of the Silver Link.That might account for the quote from Arthur Taylor Senior after the run on September 27th 1935 ' We could easily have gone faster if we wanted to.We were not all out by any means'. Has anyone else ever heard this story, could it be true? I notice from most photographs that the engines did not have nameplates but had the name painted on the body of the engine. However I do have an articl entitled On the footplate of the two miles a minute express showing the silver Link with a nameplate. Also I though it was several months later that the Silver Fox went into service.

I have very little in the way of memorabilia, just a few newspaper articles but I do have a letter written to Arthur Taylor senior by The Station Master at Farleigh, Queensland, Australia informing him that 'his achiements had reached that far flung out-post of the empire' and congratulating him on his 112mph run. H stated that the maximum permitted speed in Queensland was 45mph. It was addressed to Driver Taylor, Loco Driver (Engine Silver Link) L.N.E.R. Kings Cross,London England.
73D
NBR J36 0-6-0

Re: Arthur Taylor Senior and Junior Top Shed /Silver Link

Post by 73D »

Hi Sharon

As you rightly say Silver Fox did not leave the works until December 1935 and it has always been easy to identify Silver Link from photographs as it had a couple of obvious differences from the other three silver A4s. The boiler handrail is straight at the rear and the access panels along the boiler are a lot deeper, going down to the valence over the wheels. All of the pictures taken on the 27th September show these features.

Quicksilver was available and could have been used but this had a rear curve to the handrail and shorter access panels, so a change would have been noticed.

Cast nameplates were originally fitted and official photographs showing them in position were taken. It was then decided that they would look more balanced with the name painted in the centre of the boiler. Depending on whether the LNER publicity department had control of the photographs the original holes for the cast plate can be seen on photographs taken on the 27th September or were retouched out.

There may have been problems with the trial runs that were hushed-up, but Silver Link definitely hauled the train on the 27th September.

Regarding Arthur Taylor's father it would be handy to know where he was living, as this will give a good indication to which company he was working for at the time.
Sharon.baker
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Sharon.baker »

Thanks for your response, I expect that my memories are blurred as I was very young when I used to listen to the tales of the railways.

I think I have traced Charles William Taylor in the following censuses:
1881 census aged 28 he lived in 4a Brewers Road Islington he was a Railway Fireman
(Arthur Taylor was born in 1883)
1891 they lived at 398 York Road Islington he was a Loco Engine Driver
1901 they lived at 362 York Road Islington still a Loco Engine driver
He was born in Maulden in Bedfordshire, it has been suggested that he was probably a GNR man.
73D
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 73D »

The address you have suggest he worked for the Great Northern Railway, which became part of the LNER. It ties together as it would have been strange for a son to join a rival railway!
Andy W
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Andy W »

York Road is now York Way and I am pretty sure Brewers Road runs off it. Both roads are very close to KX Top Shed so it looks likely that they were GNR men.

That would tie in with what I heard Grace Goddard (nee Taylor)say in the 1970's when I joined and worked in the same office as her - she said, "We've been on THIS railway for 100 years", usually at some unfortunate person who hinted, as a typist, she may not have a clue what the railway was about. Big mistake!

I never worked with Arthur or Charlie and only saw Arthur on a few occasions after he retired, as a visitor to the office, but I knew plenty of people who did work with them and all three (Arthur, Charlie and Grace) had a reputation for being extremely good at their respective jobs and not afraid to voice an opinion! They were all highly thought of.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

Sharon.baker wrote:Thanks for your response, I expect that my memories are blurred as I was very young when I used to listen to the tales of the railways.

I think I have traced Charles William Taylor in the following censuses:
1881 census aged 28 he lived in 4a Brewers Road Islington he was a Railway Fireman
(Arthur Taylor was born in 1883)
1891 they lived at 398 York Road Islington he was a Loco Engine Driver
1901 they lived at 362 York Road Islington still a Loco Engine driver
He was born in Maulden in Bedfordshire, it has been suggested that he was probably a GNR man.
I am perusing the 1911 census anyway for my own ancestors, so had a quick search on Charles W Taylor, and found one aged 58 married to Lydia aged 59. Both were born in Bedfordshire - Charles in Maulden and Lydia in Ampthill.

They list the address as 364 York Road, Camden.

The 1911 is fascinating as there is more information available than previous ones.

Charles gives his occupation as "disabled railway engine driver" and that he and Lydia have been married for 35 years and have had 7 children, 6 of whom are still alive.

At the same address are:-

son Charles W Taylor aged 27 and a widower - Railway Clerk

daughter Alice Taylor aged 21 single - Blousemaker

son Horace Taylor aged 18 single - Engine Fitter (loco)

grandson Walter Taylor aged 5

All the above four born in Islington. Their house has 5 rooms not including scullery or bathroom.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
JohnHobson
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by JohnHobson »

What you have written about ARTHUR JOHN TAYLOR is very interesting. I also found the item on Jack Luty most interesting and would like to include those details in my file. I have done a lot research into Arthur J Taylor and his family because he lived at 11 Alverstone Avenue (until his death in 1959) and I lived at 15 (until 1958), so I knew him and his daughter Grace. I also have the dates of his employment history with the GNR & LNER. I also knew John (Jack) Wheatcroft who moved into No.11 soon after Arthur's wife died (1939) and eventually married Grace. John was the fitter who attended the re-railing of 60507 'Duke of Rothesay' outside the Standard Telephone works on 17 July 1948 (Driver Bill Hoole). I believe JW died in Derby in 1964; in 1968 Grace married John E Goddard, a driver at Top Shed.
There is an item published in the LNER magazine for September 1936 of the death of one C.W.Taylor, Driver, Kings Cross on 13 January 1936. I am wondering if this C.W.Taylor is the father of Arthur J Taylor. My details have a Charles W Taylor (Engine Driver) as born in 1853 but who, in the 1911 Census, was described as disabled, so he would have been 83 at death.
I have, today, received a copy of the obituary for Arthur J Taylor O.B.E. which was published in The Barnet Press on 26 September 1959 following his death on 21 September 1959. I have been able to construct a Family Tree back to his Father (Charles W Taylor, b.1853) which includes his wife, Florence Elizabeth and her ancestors. Arthur had a brother, Also Charles W Taylor (b.1884). He also had a son, Arthur (junior) who was a fitter at Hatfield and Top Shed, but I have not tired to research him.
What I have not yet been able to find is either (1) an official notice of the award of the O.B.E. to Arthur, or (2) any item published in a newspaper or magazine about his award. I would be grateful if anyone could put me onto a source of this information to complete my file.
John Hobson, jahobson23@tiscali.co.uk
JohnHobson
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by JohnHobson »

Dear Sharon
Yes, I remember Arthur Taylor (senior); he lived next-door-but-one to me in Alverstone Avenue when I was a (much) younger man.
I have researched him and his ancestors and have a family tree for him, his father and mother and his children (but not his grandchildren), so you would fit onto it quite nicely.
I you would like to get in touch I would be happy to share what details I have of your family and hope you might be able to enhance what I have got.
I have just submitted an item to the forum which, when approved, should appear. But you can contact me if you like:
John Hobson, jahobson23@tiscali.co.uk
kimballthurlow
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by kimballthurlow »

Hi Sharon and all,
Sorry to butt in on a topic which has great meaning for you all.
I am not sure if it is relevant, or going over well-known ground, but I have a PDF file on A J Taylor's account of the first run of the Silver Jubilee.
You can see it here at http://www.qldrail.net/lner/silverjubilee_sml.pdf

regards
Kimball Thurlow
GordonSparks
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by GordonSparks »

Dear Sharon and all,
A.J. Taylor, driver of the Silver Jubilee, was an uncle of my mother-in-law, Monica Marshall. Arthur Taylor was married to Florence Elizabeth Spriggs, sister of William Spriggs, Monica's father. Arthur Taylor's daughter Grace and her daughter and Arthur's sons, Charles and Arthur used to visit Monica. I first met them when dating Monica's daughter, Shirley Marshall. In 1962 after we married, Shirley and I visited Arthur, Jr. and Charles at their home. During our visit, Arthur, Jr. and Charles presented their father's silver pocket watch that he had been awarded upon his retirement to Shirley. They also presented her with a medallion that he was presented by the Executive of the Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen for proposing 28 new members during 1920. Both items are on display in our home. I prepared a short piece that contains pictures of the watch and medallion and the article that Arthur Taylor wrote about his experience preparing for and making the trial run of the Silver Jubilee. If you have an interest, let me know and I will email it to you. Arthur J. Taylor is buried in Weldon Churchyard, near Corby. The inscription on his grave is "Arthur J. Taylor, OBE".

Regards,
Gordon Sparks