J A JENKINSON - Port of Birkenhead

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

SuzieT
NER Y7 0-4-0T

J A JENKINSON - Port of Birkenhead

Post by SuzieT »

Hi

I am trying to find out information regarding my grandfather John Arthur Jenkinson. I would like to find out as much as I can with regard to his working life. I know that when he died in 1943, he was working as Port Liasion Officer for the Port of Birkenhead. Before this he worked in Manchester at London Road. Before that he had worked for GCR in London and for the Royal Commission on Railways during the first world war.

I was hoping that staff records may be available for this period.

Any help would be appreciated.
Sue Talbot
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Welcome to the forums Suzie!

Sounds like your Grandad might have had some interest stories to tell.

The first places to look will be the National Archives (Kew) and the archives at the National Railway Museum (York). York is currently having a big overhaul of their archives and related services, so you may have to wait 6-12 months for them to be back. The intention is for them to be easier to use.

I don't know of any books off hand, but other forum members might. However it strikes me that the administration of the railways during World War 1 must have at least one authorative book written about it.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia