Railway Policewomen

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Bonnie
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Railway Policewomen

Post by Bonnie »

Looking for any information on Scotlands first 4 LNE Railway Policewomen. I came across a couple of newspaper articles and a picture of my Grandmother Isabella Graham. There is a photo and the article says Railway Policewomen--Scotland's first four L.N.E. railway policewomen--Miss M. Mackenzie, a native of Dingwall; Mrs. Smeaton, formerly an Edinburgh tailoress; Mrs. Graham, formerly a librarian in an Edinburgh bookshp; and Miss Robertson, from Caithness---direct a passenger at the Waverly Station. Their duties will take the policewomen to all L.N.E.R. stations in Edinburgh. Any ideas what year this would have been? Any other information on the first policewomen would be very interesting to me.

Thank You,
Bonnie
Attachments
Grandma.jpg
(133.79 KiB) Downloaded 239 times
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

What time period was this? World War 2, or earlier?

I don't have any direct help, but you could try contacting Helena Wojtczak.
She has a book and a website here: http://www.railwaywomen.co.uk/

I think there's a good chance she knows about early railway women or can point you in the right direction.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia