Harry Wenman - coal tipper/shunter KIngs Cross 1920s

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

StevieC
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Harry Wenman - coal tipper/shunter KIngs Cross 1920s

Post by StevieC »

Hi, my grandfather, Harry Wenman was I believe a coal tipper/shunter at the Kings Cross depot at some time after WWI until his death aged 39 in mid 1923. He and his family lived at Railway Street adjacent to Kings Cross. As a coal tipper/shunter I imagine that he had to fill the train engine tenders with coal and to do this he had to shunt the engines from the station to the coal sheds. His death was apparently as a result of him slipping on a greasy footplate of an engine. The sustained internal injuries and was taken home where he stayed for a week before a doctor admitted him to hospital - within two days he was dead (ruptured kidnies) leaving a wife with eight children (four under two years old!)

I have been trying to find out if an accident book existed - couldn't see anything on Harry at all in the latest release of National Archives staff records. Does anyone have any suggestions of where I might look to find out more about Harry and his service for LNER?

Thanks

Steve
LNER Fan 60008
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Re: Harry Wenman - coal tipper/shunter KIngs Cross 1920s

Post by LNER Fan 60008 »

Hello,

Sorry to hear about your grandfather's demise. This site has information on railway accidents.

http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/eventlisting.php

However, I cannot be certain this incident is included in there. It's worth a look, though.

Don't know of any books regarding LNER accidents.
ooOOOo-oooo--o-o-----o-o-o-o---------o-o-o-o--------o-o
StevieC
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Re: Harry Wenman - coal tipper/shunter KIngs Cross 1920s

Post by StevieC »

Thanks for your help - had a look at the various KX locations but unfortunately couldn't see any accident for 1923. Thanks all the same.

Cheers

Steve