want to find out train routes my grand father worked on

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

compingnut
NER Y7 0-4-0T

want to find out train routes my grand father worked on

Post by compingnut »

My grandfather. William Evan Paul, probably known as Bill Paul, was a train driver in 1920's and thirties with LNER.He lived in Wigan from around 1905. I and several of my cousins are interested in finding out which journeys he would probably make in the course of his work. Three of my cousins are particularly interested in travelling on these same routes. Can anybody expand on this or point me in the right direction?
Tony
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: want to find out train routes my grand father worked on

Post by Blink Bonny »

If he was based in Wigan, then he would have probably worked for the LNWR. In which case, compingnut, you are on the wrong forum.

Try the LMS forum. They're a good bunch and will be sure to help you out. You will need to know the shed(s) youe grandfather worked from to be able to make any sort of estimate.
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
Stirling O
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Stirling O »

To contradict the previous correspondent, there were LNER (ex Great Central Railway) lines around the Wigan area, so it is quite feasible that your relation did in fact work for the LNER. There was an ex GCR branch from St. Helens which made a junction with the ex GCR line from Wigan at Lowton St. Marys. The line then headed south where it made a triangular junction with the Cheshire Lines Committee around Glazebrook. From this Junction traffic could then work west to Liverpool or east towards Manchester.

I hope this is off some help to you.
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

The GCR did make it into Central Wigan as well according to the old Ian Allen map book.
It would also be possible to work to Southport from Glazebroook via the Cheshire Lines Railway.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

I sit corrected, in which case.

Thanks, lads.
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
compingnut
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by compingnut »

Thanks for your advice . I will try the other forum. PS your mention of sheds, does that mean a massive sidings where trains could be picked up. Yeah I'm a bit numb- a few in the family wrer railwaymen but I managed to keep away and trained as a teacher. You know the saying, them as can, do, them as can't.teach. Thats me!
compingnut
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by compingnut »

further bit, "sheds" at Wigan wewre at Springs Branch, on SW side of the town.
bricam5
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by bricam5 »

Sheds mean locomotive depots or as they became known in la di da language " Motive Power Depots"
Footplate ex Botanic Gardens & Bradford GN (Bowling)
Yorkshire born & bred
Trafford Park
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by Trafford Park »

The LNER had a small engine shed at Lower Ince in the Wigan area. It was closed around 1950 and at the time had an allocation of J10 0-6-0s.