Driver Pibworth

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

alison.riley
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Re: Driver Pibworth

Post by alison.riley »

My Great-Grandfather was Henry Fox. My Father told me that he used to drive the Flying Fox, and I believe he was sure of that. Does anyone have any more information about this by any chance? I would dearly love to know more about him.
Dr. Alison Riley, CPA
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Alison,

Class A1 4-6-2 No 1475 Flying Fox was built in 1923, for most of its LNER existence it was No. 4475. It was withdrawn as British Railways No. 60106 at the end of 1964. Up until 1940 the loco worked out of Kings Cross shed in London.

Those are the locomotive dates. Can you give us an further dates or information about Mr Fox? Then a search through the records may reveal something.

John
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 61070 »

I've recently seen a photograph captioned King's Cross driver Pibworth with No.4475 Flying Fox at Grantham coal stage, 1924 and I recalled this thread about him.

The photograph is on page 40 of Smoke and Steam: footplate memories of the G.N. and L.N.E.R. in the 1920s by Harold Bonnett, which was published in 1981 by D. Bradford Barton Ltd. The picture is credited 'Author's Collection'. Unfortunately it's not reproduced particularly well, and Driver Pibworh is lubricating the valve gear so he has his back to the camera, but it I hope nevertheless it may be of interest to Albert Pibworth's family.

At the time the picture was taken Harold Bonnett was a cleaner at Grantham. The book is the story of his cleaning and footplate experiences at Grantham and at Hatfield. I found a copy quite easily on the web and it wasn't expensive.
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

Hi 61070, thanks for that. I'll have a look on a well known auction site.

Regards,

Vernon
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

Are these any use, Vernon?

http://www.abebooks.com/book-search/isbn/9780851533957/

http://www.amazon.com/Smoke-steam-Footp ... 876&sr=1-1

Alternately, have you thought of asking at your local library? It's amazing what they can come up with. If they do have a copy, you could 'xerox' it if you know someone.
Wellingtonian
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Wellingtonian »

I met an engine driver from London named Pibworth whilst on holiday in Torquay in 1959, I think it was. He was staying at the Ansteys Cove hotel in Babbacombe. I was an avid 12 year old train spotter at the time and that was what got us chatting during meal times. A few weeks after returning home to Scotland after the holiday a parcel arrived addressed to me containing two old railway books, from Mr Pibworth, one in good condition entitled "Locomotive Engine Driving" by Michael Reynolds published in 1885, the other in not-so-good condition whose title I cannot remember, dated around 1910 I think. I cannot find this second book so have concluded that I must have disposed of it some time ago due to its condition.

From the information contained in this topic, it would seem that my friendly engine driver was Len Pibworth and that the book still in my possession belonged to his father, Albert Pibworth, as the date of Albert starting work with the GNR being 1883 (from the Meccano Magazine article) coincides with the book publishing date 2 years later. Presumably the books passed to Len following Albert's death in 1929.

I came across this topic having recently read a book on the history of Flying Scotsman, which referred to Albert Pibworth's involvement during the 1920s and in particular in 1928. A further coincidence is that my birthday is 1st May, the date of Flying Scotsman's inaugural non-stop run.
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

Quite a coincidence!

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Vernon
lchard01
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by lchard01 »

Albert Pibworth was my great uncle
melvynchown
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by melvynchown »

Albert Pibworth was the younger brother of my maternal great-grandfather, Arthur Pibworth. Albert was born in Enborne, Berkshire in 1864. The family were from Enborne. At the time of his death on 16 September 1929 Albert was living at Wash Common, Newbury and he was buried later that same month at Enborne, Berks. I believe that engine driver Leonard James (Len) Pibworth (1902-1980) - also mentioned on this forum - was a great-nephew of Albert Pibworth being the grandson of another of Albert's nine siblings.

Regards,

Mel Chown
Chris payne
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Chris payne »

Hi,

So whilst researching my family tree I've come across this article. I am a direct descendent of the Pibworths my great Grandmother being Elizabeth Pibworth later married to become Elizabeth Mullen.
Anyone who is related to the Pibworths please do reach out to me at Chrisrp90@gmail.com as I have a huge amount of information on the family's history.

Many thanks
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

Chris payne wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:42 pm Hi,

So whilst researching my family tree I've come across this article. I am a direct descendent of the Pibworths my great Grandmother being Elizabeth Pibworth later married to become Elizabeth Mullen.
Anyone who is related to the Pibworths please do reach out to me at Chrisrp90@gmail.com as I have a huge amount of information on the family's history.

Many thanks
Hi Chris,

I'm the OP on this thread. I have told my aquaintance of your post.

Vernon