Driver Charles (Charlie) H Rush

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Stanierblack5
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Driver Charles (Charlie) H Rush

Post by Stanierblack5 »

The above is my father, he worked for the NER, LNER and BR. He started his career as an engine cleaner at York in about 1914 and retired from he same engine shed in 1963 after 47 years service. I have lived in York all my life and visited the sheds many times as a small lad with my father, have turned locos on the turn table ( well held on to the handle while it moved round) and have been issued with a grease top hat from the stores , along with some Roselax? (barrier cream). I have many memories and stories, but I would like to know has any one come across or seen my fathers name in any article etc. I have various bits and pieces, ie leaving article in BR magazine, LNER War Service badge, but I would like to know if anyone has spotted the name. I believe I have found a photo in a publication , which I will detail when I return from holiday. Any Information will be most appreciated. Will follow up myself when I return home.
Thanks
Robert Rush.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Driver Charles (Charlie) H Rush

Post by Dave »

Are you the Rob Rush who went to Ashfield and lived in the Horseshoe, with the garden that backed onto the railway ??.
Stanierblack5
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Stanierblack5 »

That would be me!
Take it you went to see Joe Turner with me to ask permission to take photos of Flying Scotsman in 1968 during it's non stop run.
Rob.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Yes Rob that was me.
I seem to remember Joe let the whole school out to see it go passed, and we went to the station to see it along with Dave Clarke.

I also remember watching Impala and Puku clanking past every day.