Family Tree Help

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

yorkshirerose
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Family Tree Help

Post by yorkshirerose »

Hi,

I'm researching my family tree and my late grandfather worked for LNER in South Yorkshire - he died in the 1970's aged 80, how would I find out more about his service?

Thanks

YR
geofrancis
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Re: Family Tree Help

Post by geofrancis »

Hi
I do family history, try " freebmd " on line if you have names , dates & places you may get some info
Cheers geofrancis
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Failing that there are two places to try first off:

The National Archives.

The National Railway Museum.

A visit to a Preserved Railway will be an educational experience. Do you know which department he was in?
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
2512silverfox

Post by 2512silverfox »

Ancestry.com now have railway service records on line from the Kew records, but you are more likely to get help from the 'LNER People' part of the forum. Try posting his name and known service there, you never know!
yorkshirerose
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by yorkshirerose »

Thanks for your advice, I've got a few bits of family paperwork to go through, sadly there is no-one left on that side of the family who would know more information.

I know he started down the mines (as a pit pony driver) then moved onto the Railways where he stayed until he retired - his name was Joseph Vollans Straw and I think he worked at either Swinton or Mexborough in South Yorkshire. On his death certificate it says Railway Trackman.

I've just started looking at Ancestry so will carry on with that, never thought of the Railway Museum though, thanks very much - will keep you posted on my search!

YR
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

He is on the 1911 census as Joseph Valluns Straw b 1896 in Swinton.

At that time aged 15 he was employed as a pit pony driver.

His parents were Joe Straw aged 54 born Swinton and Harriet Straw aged 50 born Rawmarsh. Harriet and Joe had been married 26 years and had had 8 children of which only 5 were still living in 1911.

The writing is a little difficult to read, but the family were living at 78 Queen Street, Swinton.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
yorkshirerose
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by yorkshirerose »

Thanks John, I had got some of that information but the rest is a big help, I know there were a few children that didn't survive sadly - some my Mum (Joseph's daughter) didn't know about, she died 2 years ago and was the last one left to help so your information welcome, thankyou!

YR
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

I'm not sure if you have searched that address in Swinton, but it seems to still exist and if the street view photo is correct, is now a Chinese take-away.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Speaking of Swinton and Mexborough there is still a LNER sports club with a nice big sign between the two places. Must take a pic when passing.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
yorkshirerose
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by yorkshirerose »

I think the address is still a private dwelling, we live not too far away so will check!