Gresley's Chevrolet

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Oracle
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Gresley's Chevrolet

Post by Oracle »

I ws fascinated to find years ago, whilst carrying out my constant search of registration records for Chevrolet cars, trucks and buses imported by General Motors Ltd that US-built Model 490 Touring car, registration C 2302, registered 29th June 1921, chassis number 2A 21168 was initially owned by Herbert Nigel Gresley of Avenue House, Doncaster, Yorkshire! It later became a taxi, and was finally exported in June 1927.
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Bullhead »

The title of this post reminded me of the song covered by (amongst others) Dick Gaughan, "Geronimo's Cadillac".

I suppose that back then Chevrolets were quite prestigious cars whereas these days - apart from the Corvette - they seem to be rebadged Daewoos.
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
Oracle
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

££££

Post by Oracle »

At that time a Chevrolet was big money, as it was in the post-war boom period, just before the post-war bust! £235 in 1921 money is my information! That is £7,000 using the Retail Price Index, and £30,500 using average wages. So Gresley had the equivalent according to wages of a small executive car.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I was thinking the same. Here in the US a Chevrolet of pretty much any kind is a very low marque car. They still have "Chevrolet Cavaliers".

I guess it was similar to Rover - also very good cars in the 30s, but they ended up hiding the sins of British Leyland.

Where was Gresley's Chevvie exported to? I guess it isn't possible to trace it and it probably doesn't survive?
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Oracle
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Hmm

Post by Oracle »

...it was last used as a Hackney which means a Taxi, but being rhd it could have gone to anywhere, including Irish Free State. It would not have been worth much by then.