Relief Signalman Roy Revell

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

HitchinTrainSpotter
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Relief Signalman Roy Revell

Post by HitchinTrainSpotter »

Hi All, Just to introduce myself, but before you get too excited, it's his son Derek Revell who is contacting on behalf of Dad (Stuart Roy Revell), Dad's very well considering his age of 87 (88 on the 26th January), still talks with fond memories of his time working on the Railways. He still walks several times a day up and down Hollow Lane in Hitchin (that's quite a steep hill) as Mum doesn't walk far herself, he does all the shopping, as he lives at 40 Whitehill Road, SG4 1HP since 1968.

I was doing a google search on his name, and came to this web site, I've printed the pages where he is mentioned and posted them to him. Unfortunately he doesn't have a computer, I did offer to supply one to him, as I have a couple of spares, but he wasn't interested. I am more than willing to act as a intermediator for any correspondence, my email address is derekrevell@aol.com, I'm based in Biggleswade, Beds. Regards to all Derek Revell.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Relief Signalman Roy Revell

Post by StevieG »

Derek,
I was, many years ago, friends with relief-signalman Norman Greenwood, whom your dad may remember.

He once told me (in the late '60s I reckon) of a then-recent occurrence when the roster clerk, trying to get a signalman's shift at Welwyn North signal box covered, rang him to ask if he would work his rest day to do the shift, thus avoiding having to leave the box 'switched out'.
When he said no, the clerk said he would try contacting 'Roy' to see if he would do it, to which Norman related that he was able to say 'Don't bother, he's on Leave ; and anyway, he doesn't 'sign' (= hasn't been passed as competent to operate) Welwyn North!'
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Yes i remember Roy i was his telegraph lad (15/16 years old at the time) at WELWYN GARDEN CITY s/box on several occasions just after they replaced the lever frame and installed the NX panel in the box in September 1973, i don't think that i ever recall him working the box when it still had the lever frame during 1972-73 period (when i was there?) but i remember him learning the NX panel and working it on several occasions (maybe 2 or 3 times) around early 1974 just before i left the box in March of 1974.

I believe Roy use to work further north usually around s/boxes like HITCHIN SOUTH, HITCHIN YARD, CAMBRIDGE JUNCTION, THREE COUNTIES, ARLESEY, BIGGLESWADE & SANDY down the main line and LETCHWORTH, BALDOCK & ROYSTON down the Cambridge branch most of his time. Someone that Roy would remember if you mentioned his name was a fella who was on the L.M.R. st PANCRAS-BEDFORD electrification project in the late 1970s with Roy and who was a ex-L.M.R. signalman called Dave Littlechild because i recall Dave telling me 25-30 years ago that himself and Roy were both on that electrification project together, Dave finished up maybe 10 years ago now.
Last edited by Mickey on Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HitchinTrainSpotter
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by HitchinTrainSpotter »

Thanks for acknowledging me, and sharing some information, when I was a young lad, and Dad was working The Junk Shop (Cambridge Junction Signal Box), as we used to live in Benslow Lane, Hitchin, Mum would cook Dad (lunch) dinner, and I would hop on my pushbike, and cycle as fast as I could and take Dad a freshly cooked hot plate of food, my dad was always very please to see me on those occasions, as the box was only reached by crossing the four tracks directly opposite, Dad would lean out of the box window and give me the all clear to cross the very busy tracks. I also use to take him lunch at Choo Chin Chow (Hitchin South) and The Hard (Hitchin Yard) and the Midlands Box, that didn't have a nickname that I was aware of, all those boxes were reached without having to cross any tracks.

I have a funny little story to tell about Dad's job title, I'll write it up next time I visit, as I'm off to take my big sister out for a meal tonight, it's her birthday.

Thanks again Derek Revell
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Do I recall Roy also doing some similar work for the GN suburban electrification?
If so, he might well know our own 'hq1hitchin'.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
hq1hitchin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by hq1hitchin »

StevieG wrote:Do I recall Roy also doing some similar work for the GN suburban electrification?
Yes, I certainly remember Roy - looked like Dennis Norden and also had a good sense of humour. There was a sort of friendly professional rivalry with another reliefman, Stan Crouch, who Roy once referred to as the 'Old lady of Sish Lane'. Roy was a classy sort of chap, whereas we made do with Hillmans, Roy had a Humber :lol:

Saw him at a Hatfield re-union a few years back and he was looking fine. I left the GN in 1975 and I believe Roy was already an acting Inspector then, before he went across to the Midland to work on the electrification scheme into St Pancras. Delighted to learn he's still around, we're a dwindling number now, Derek. Please give him my regards - he'll work out who I am!
A topper is proper if the train's a non-stopper!
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

hq1hitchin wrote:
StevieG wrote:Do I recall Roy also doing some similar work for the GN suburban electrification?
Yes, I certainly remember Roy - looked like Dennis Norden and also had a good sense of humour.
When i knew of Roy around late 1973/early 1974 he had totally black hair straight short on the collar and he wore quite thick rimmed glasses with the B.R. uniform i.e. black B.R. trousers and a shirt and B.R. wescote i recall while on duty. I never saw of him again after i left WELWYN GARDEN CITY s/box around March of 1974 although his name has been mentioned on this forum several times in the past as well as other's by hq1hitchin and myself when talking about the old days.