George Case RIP

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

hq1hitchin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

George Case RIP

Post by hq1hitchin »

Just learned tonight that George Case, the chap who organised the KX district re-unions at Hatfield for so many years, died peacefully in hospital over the weekend. He lived in Potters Bar and came on the job about 1940, writing four little books describing his career, all of which was spent on the southern end of the GN. I can visualise him now sat in the ASM's chair in their old office towards the end of Plat 10. RIP mate
A topper is proper if the train's a non-stopper!
Mickey

Re: George Case RIP

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

That is sad news 'hq1', but thanks.
I knew he had not been well lately for a while. Met him a few brief times, when he was in various roles both pre and post-retirement. Last official one was when station, and I think, some Power Box staff, were amongst those who he guided through a half-day course at Hornsey depot for non-traincrew, around winter of '77/78, on familiarisation with the then new ("well-proven design" :) ) pre-service Class 312 EMUs.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
sandwhich
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by sandwhich »

So sorry to hear of the passing of George Case, a railwayman to his fingertips, I remember him as ASM at Kings Cross when in pre electric/HST days when their was much parcels/mail & newspaper traffic things could get a bit hectic at times, but not George always calm, last time i saw him was at one of the Hatfield do,s and I purchased one of his books and a good read it was to. My condolences to his family.
hq1hitchin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by hq1hitchin »

A good turnout at his funeral today, a lot of old railwaymen. What I'd forgotten was that George, coming from a railway family, was so keen to join that he left school in 1939 aged 13 and started on the LNER, without bothering to tell his parents. They were blissfully unaware for about a month, until the school visitor came round to see why George wasn't attending. Nice try :lol:
A topper is proper if the train's a non-stopper!