"Buckjumpers Gobblers & Clauds"

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

locojoe
NER J27 0-6-0

"Buckjumpers Gobblers & Clauds"

Post by locojoe »

Has anyone read "Buckjumpers Gobblers & Clauds" by Jim Hill.
http://tinyurl.com/2dgzzs7
Jimmy was a driver at Enfield when I worked there. He was also ASLEF union rep and a teacher at the Enfield Town mutual improvement classes. I fired to Jimmy a few times and a very nice chap he was too.The book tells of more than 50 years on GE & LNER.
Ex fireman Enfield & Kings Cross.
owd sweedy
LNER J39 0-6-0

Re: "Buckjumpers Gobblers & Clauds"

Post by owd sweedy »

Yes locojoe, I have that book and have thoroughly enjoyed reading it many times. It gives a good insight into the railwayman's life on the footplate and covers a span from the first world war to the 1960's. There are some fascinating snippets and insights into the workings of the railway and the steam locomotive in GE days. He comes across as a decent bloke with an interesting story to tell.
Cheers,
Owd Sweedy.
Ottawa.
locojoe
NER J27 0-6-0

Re: "Buckjumpers Gobblers & Clauds"

Post by locojoe »

Hello Owd Sweed in Ottawa.
Yes Jimmys book is an interesting read especially at the begining where he writes about working on military railways in France during WW1. When working with Jimmy he was always good for a laugh, telling corny jokes (the same jokes over and over) I always laughed as if it was the first time I'd heard them. Another thing about Jimmy, he would always let the fireman do some of the driving. :D
Ex fireman Enfield & Kings Cross.