Who is (or was) B Richardson ???

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Meg Merrilies
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Who is (or was) B Richardson ???

Post by Meg Merrilies »

In Peter Coster's 3 books of the Gresley, Thompson & Peppercorn pacifics several of the photos are credited to B Richardson (and on at least 1 occasion the credit goes to Barry Richardson so I'm assuming that it may be the same person?).
It's not because of his photo credits that I am asking the topic question, but because on page 139 of 'The Book of the A4 Pacifics' there are 2 photos in which the loco (60007 S.N.G.) has a marker hooked over the L/H/S lamp bracket and on the marker the name "B Richardson" is painted/printed.
I'm just wondering what was his connection with the engine? Was he a/the driver of No 7 or was he an "in-charge" person who had responsibilty for repair or maintenance work to be carried out on the engine? Or what ???
(I'm not from a railway background nor have I ever worked on the railway, so I'm not too familiar with some proceedures/practices, in fact I'm not even sure what is the official name of the "marker" mentioned above !!! )

**EDITED to add the pic that I forgot to insert originally :roll:

There ain't no cure for nostalgia!
ROY@34F
NER J27 0-6-0

Re: Who is (or was) B Richardson ???

Post by ROY@34F »

I would say B.Richardson was a fitter working on the engine,and he did'nt want the engine to be moved.That is a "not to be moved" board on the lamp bracket.
There should be one on the other end also.Cleaners had them ,or indeed any one working on an engine.
Roy.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 60800 »

It seems to me as if 60007 was just about to have a general overhaul, note the warped casing and missing rivets
36C - Based out of 50H and 36F
Meg Merrilies
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Meg Merrilies »

Thanks for that. :D

I've checked all of his photos of A4s in the book and all, with the exception of one, were taken at New England so I assume that he worked there. The "other" photo shows Lord Faringdon taken from an over-bridge at Westwood Junction (Peterborough).

Whatever he was, whether fitter, cleaner or whatever, he was certainly a prolific photographer of steam locos at New England!
There ain't no cure for nostalgia!