Henry Charles Webster

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Hermit 109
NER J27 0-6-0

Henry Charles Webster

Post by Hermit 109 »

Hi,

Has anyone any knowledge of the position held by H C Webster.

As a boy in the 1950's, I read his book "2750 Legend of a Locomotive" which although ficticious, showed great knowledge of the particular workings of King's Cross, Top Shed in the 1930's.

I have just come across an article he wrote in 1963 regarding the introduction of the A4's to Top Shed. In the article he relates to 2750 and associates driver Gutteridge, who he held in the highest regard, with the loco. When I was at Top Shed, there was a driver Harry Gutteridge who I assume to be the son of the regular driver of 2750.

In addition, H C Webster in this article, also states he was present in the train on the 1935 test trip with Silver Link, so he obviously held a high position on the LNER.

There are a few other railway titles from the 1950's by H C Webster, but I'm not sure if it is the same person.

Hoping someone can satisfy my curiosity

Edit : Just found a post by Stembok dated 2008 which pretty much answers my query. Fireman Wightman was also mentioned as mate to Harry Gutteridge, he was a running foreman at top shed in early sixties (along with Jack Luty the fireman on 2509 Silver Link in 1935 on it's famous trial trip)