Ronald Middleton

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

owd sweedy
LNER J39 0-6-0

Ronald Middleton

Post by owd sweedy »

I am seeking information about Mr Ronald Middleton, an LNER footplateman who lived in Highgate Hill, London. In 1937 he was the first fireman to work on A4 Dominion of Canada, to Driver G. Burfoot. He was on the footplate the day of the naming ceremony at Kings Cross and a few days later when 4489 ran at 110 mph. He also fired Dominion of Canada on the first Up train of the new Coronation service. He was retired by 1967. I was wondering if anyone had any details of his career and indeed if there was a chance that he was still with us today.
Cheers,
Owd Sweedy.
Ottawa.
2512silverfox

Re: Ronald Middleton

Post by 2512silverfox »

The only Ronald Middleton that fits the parameters is one Ronald Middleton born Plaistow in 1900 and living in 1911 in East Ham. That would make him 37 at the time of DoCs naming, which I think would be about right for a top link fireman.

Several siblings but not a 'railway' family.
owd sweedy
LNER J39 0-6-0

Re: Ronald Middleton

Post by owd sweedy »

Thank you for that info Silverfox, sounds about right to me too. I had wondered if he had gone on to become a driver or what happened to him later in life.
Cheers,
Owd Sweedy.