Captain Harry Goodey

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

BurningSun
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Captain Harry Goodey

Post by BurningSun »

I am researching my husband's family tree and his great great grandfather was Captain Harry Goodey who, according to a newspaper obituary I have, became captain of the Cromer in August 1914 and "was said to have taken his ship across the North Sea during the war years on more occasions than any other navigator".

I would be very grateful for any further information about his career with the LNER. Thank you!
hq1hitchin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Re: Captain Harry Goodey

Post by hq1hitchin »

Found this in the LNER magazine for June 1936:

'The death of Captain Harry Goodey, Parkeston, on April 14, at the age of 66, removes another of the retired captains of the L.N.E.R. fleet. Captain Goodey began at Harwich Goods and soon afterwards entered the Continental Department as an ordinary seaman, rising to the position of captain, which he secured in 1914. He was in command of the S.S. Cromer during several perilous voyages across the North Sea during the Great War.'

The small photo accompanies the item

There are also references to a C.Goodey of Parkeston in the LNER magazines who was active in the first aid movement in the 1920s/1930s
Attachments
001.jpg
A topper is proper if the train's a non-stopper!
oxymoron
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Re: Captain Harry Goodey

Post by oxymoron »

Just come across your post regarding Captain Harry Goodey, he was my Grandfather but unfortunately I appear to have the same information as you regarding his career with LNER and his adventures in WW1 as Captain of the Cromer.
I have his obituary from the newspaper and have tried to find out more from the National Archives at Kew but without success.
Sorry I could not be of more help.