Ted Nye RIP

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Dave Cockle
NER J27 0-6-0

Ted Nye RIP

Post by Dave Cockle »

Former Eastern Region, Kings Cross Division Chief Signalling Inspector Ted Nye has passed away.

Cremation at Harwood Park Crem, Walton Road Stevenage, 31st October 2012 at 12:30hrs.

A first class Inspector always ontop of the job.
Mickey

Re: Ted Nye RIP

Post by Mickey »

I met him 'sort of' briefly back around 1972/3 on a couple of ocassions when he showed up at WGC s/box, i was only the 15/16 year old 'box lad' so i never spoke to him unless spoken to!!.

On about the only ocassion that he ever spoke to me was on the 'memorable ocassion' when there was a 'very rare' track circuit failure on the down main line towards Welwyn north s/box and i had wrote an entry in the book (train register) saying-

"?? track circuit had failed in the 'on position' on the down main line towards Welwyn north".

Mr.Nye read my entry and and said out loud-

"So it failed in the 'on position' young man?. I know what it means BUT does anybody else???.

It goes without saying that when Mr.Nye left the box old Harry Fitzgerald (the signalman on duty) thought that was very funny!!. :lol:

RIP Mr.Nye
hq1hitchin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by hq1hitchin »

Ted Nye had been a very experienced relief signalman before being made District Inspector and eventually finishing up as Chief Divisional Inspector, Kings Cross. He spoke quietly but metaphorically carried a large stick and people crossed him at their peril as, whilst men in those positions weren't particularly highly graded, they had a lot of influence. He was a good railwayman and it has saddened me to learn of his passing. RIP Noggy
A topper is proper if the train's a non-stopper!
ragtimer
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by ragtimer »

I knew him at KX,a very nice man,also the late Alan Richardson,Chief loco inspector who died a few years ago.
hq1hitchin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by hq1hitchin »

The man himself, in typical pose and wearing the almost mandatory trilby which DIs seemed to wear in those times. Homburgs were also acceptable!
Attachments
ted nye.jpg
A topper is proper if the train's a non-stopper!