Ransome family search

This forum is for the discussion of LNER personalities, and for use by people researching their ancestors.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Susan L
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Ransome family search

Post by Susan L »

Does anyone remember my father Clifford Ransome he worked on the railway all his life ,starting in castleford in the 30 s then he moved to south Milford and was a guard in the war years ,he worked at Neville Hill in the 60,s and he was a yard inspector at hunslet sidings when he retired in 1972.any information would be fantastic as I know very little about his career thanks
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Ransome family search

Post by JASd17 »

Mr Ransome has not turned up in a search through the LNER Magazine from 1935-47, which contains a lot of brief staff records and movements.

Don't know if the new British Railiways era disc(s) also available via the GER Society will help either?

John
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

No C Ransome in the new BR(E) magazine DVD from the GER Society either.

I did notice an H Ransome at Leeds Wellington Street in an LNER Magazine entry - awards for safe driving (of road vehicles).

Did your father go under any other name or initial? Quite often the family knows a person by one name but officially, from the birth certificate, an employer will use the first christian/forename.
Susan L
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Susan L »

Hi thanks for your search .my dad was always known as Cliff Ransome ,I've asked around and have found out he was a delivery mate on the north yorks railway in the early 30,s then he was a guard in Whitby till the war when he moved to gasgoigne wood doing runs to Hull,he also worked in Darlington and Stockton during the 1940,s he then was at Neville Hill as an inspector then chief inspector at hunslet . He also worked the last few months before his retirement in the offices at York but I don't know exactly what he did but he travelled to other stations inspecting something (sorry that sound very vague) ,i
He was also very active in the Rail union and was a close friend of Ernest Popplewell who was made a Lord . It seems strange that I can't find anything about his career when he worked on the railway all his life any ideas from anyone would be welcome. Thanks. Ps. I've found a photo of him on a steam engine where he is the fireman and on the back it says Whitby 1939. Engine 688. The Whitby tank.